New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Earlier MacBook 17 - needs hard shell

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BMW Laurie

BMW Laurie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro8, 1 (13")

Hi, folks!

I'm a new MacBook user, just bought my first MacBook Pro 13" a week ago. I bought my husband the 17" MacBook Pro 4,1 in December 2008 - it has an aluminum case and silver keys. The current model has the black keys. In looking at the two models, I can see that the ports and jacks are laid out differently on the sides. Since buying my new MacBook, I ordered a hard shell to fit it to protect the aluminum case. Now that I'm aware of these shells, I wanted to buy one for my husband's machine. I can't find anything out there.

Anyone know where I can get a nice looking shell for it?

Thanks!

PS - I love my new MacBook! What the heck have I been doing all these years?!
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

My husband got his first 17" MBP a few months ago and got this Speck case for it. He's been very pleased with it. It's translucent, but not transparent, and gives the MBP a nice feel.

Speck case

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
BMW Laurie

Thanks for the reply! Does your husband's new MBP also have the silver keyboard? The most recent MBP now has the black keys, and looks like it might take a different size shell/case. I've seen the translucent, love them. That's what I'd get for him if it's the right size and port configuration. Again, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
class77

'11 MBP's don't have silver keys but I think the exterior size is the same. Measure the hubby's and the check out the Apple site for a comparison measurement if you think it won't fit.

QUOTE Thanks
BMW Laurie

Thanks again, Class77! As I've been searching the bazillion websites that carry these shells (Speck, etc.), most say "fits 'Unibody'" or "fits new 'Unibody' only" so I interpreted that to mean "the most current" MacBook Pro 17. But maybe it simply means "the one in the aluminum case, regardless of which keys it had." I'm thinking there's been three different versions of this MacBook? The first one, which probably looked like any other laptop, then the second one which is like hubby's with the aluminum case and silver keys, and now the most current version with the black keys. I'll just look carefully at all the inputs and drives on his machine, and look at what I see online to see if it looks like everything will be accessible. I'm making this molehill a huge mountain. Just order it, and if it doesn't fit, just send it back. Then punt.
QUOTE Thanks
class77

Yep, all the aluminum Macs are unibodies. It doesn't matter if they have silver or black keys.

Order it from Apple or get it at your local Apple store. If it doesn't fit, send it back

QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I have the Speck case as well. Just got it this past weekend, in fact. It does add some weight and a tiny bit in closed height, but overall, my piece of mind now is happier.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Sonicjet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13' Macbook Pro i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
Yep, all the aluminum Macs are unibodies. It doesn't matter if they have silver or black keys.
Wait, this is Def. NOT true.
The Unibody macbook was 2009, his made made before that, it is NOT a unibody. Silver keys are never unibody machines, they have a completely different design.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Questions regarding music and iTunes | Copy iMac image to new Macbook Pro using Time Machine? »