Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Saving emails from windows to mac (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/244154-saving-emails-windows-mac.html)

SecondRow 07-16-2011 08:21 AM

Saving emails from windows to mac
 
Hi - I am switching to Mac, but I need my emails.
They are in Windows Live Mail.

How do I export them to be put onto Mac? Is this possible.

Thanks.

louishen 07-16-2011 09:14 AM

THe easiest way to do that is to get the staff at the Apple store to do it for you

Otherwise a product like O2M make the transfer easy

Little Machines

Jimmy_G 07-17-2011 09:05 AM

I've just made the PC to Mac switch and was in the same situation as you. After quite a bit of looking around, including on this forum, the easiest solution seemed to be "mBox Mail For Mac":
Fluent Factory: mBox Mail for Mac

You can try it for free for 30 days and if you like it, you can pay $20 for a license to keep using it. It's worked for me - it imports all your folders and your archive emails. Perhaps more usefully, it synchronizes with the Hotmail server, so once you've read an email on one device (I also use a Windows Mobile phone), it shows as having been read on the other. IE if I read and/or delete some emails on my phone, they show as read and/or deleted on my MacBook, and vice versa.

One downside is that emails sent on my Mac appear twice in the sent mail folder on my Mac. I think this is because they are saved on the Hotmail server and also saved by Mail on the Mac. I've yet to find the setting on the Mac which allows me to stop Mail from saving it's own copy. Can anyone advise on that?

SecondRow 07-17-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy_G (Post 1266723)
I've just made the PC to Mac switch and was in the same situation as you. After quite a bit of looking around, including on this forum, the easiest solution seemed to be "mBox Mail For Mac":
Fluent Factory: mBox Mail for Mac

You can try it for free for 30 days and if you like it, you can pay $20 for a license to keep using it. It's worked for me - it imports all your folders and your archive emails. Perhaps more usefully, it synchronizes with the Hotmail server, so once you've read an email on one device (I also use a Windows Mobile phone), it shows as having been read on the other. IE if I read and/or delete some emails on my phone, they show as read and/or deleted on my MacBook, and vice versa.

One downside is that emails sent on my Mac appear twice in the sent mail folder on my Mac. I think this is because they are saved on the Hotmail server and also saved by Mail on the Mac. I've yet to find the setting on the Mac which allows me to stop Mail from saving it's own copy. Can anyone advise on that?


I'm not sure I follow.
All I need to do is copy the emails across once, and then run my email account through the Mac inbox as normal.
Why would this duplicate anything ?

Jimmy_G 07-17-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondRow (Post 1266745)
I'm not sure I follow.
All I need to do is copy the emails across once, and then run my email account through the Mac inbox as normal.
Why would this duplicate anything ?


As I understand it, you don't really need to copy anything. Because you're a Windows Live Mail user, all your emails should be stored on the Live Mail server, as well as on your PC. But, because they're on the Live Mail server, ie they're in Microsoft's head office, so to speak, you don't need to copy them from your PC to your Mac.

On your Mac, try opening Mail (or the email software of your choice), set up your account, and it should then download all your archive emails from the server to your Mac.

The problems that that caused me were:
1. All the emails appear as "new" messages, so you have loads of unread mail, which you had previously read on your PC.

2. I had created folders within Live Mail and put some emails into them; these folders didn't import into Mail on the Mac.

3. When I read emails on my Mac, then opened my emails on my phone, the emails still showed as unread on my phone and vice versa.

mBox resolved all these problems. Of course, if those 3 things aren't problems for you, then you can just set up your account with Mail and you should be fine.

SecondRow 07-17-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy_G (Post 1266795)
As I understand it, you don't really need to copy anything. Because you're a Windows Live Mail user, all your emails should be stored on the Live Mail server, as well as on your PC. But, because they're on the Live Mail server, ie they're in Microsoft's head office, so to speak, you don't need to copy them from your PC to your Mac.

On your Mac, try opening Mail (or the email software of your choice), set up your account, and it should then download all your archive emails from the server to your Mac.

The problems that that caused me were:
1. All the emails appear as "new" messages, so you have loads of unread mail, which you had previously read on your PC.

2. I had created folders within Live Mail and put some emails into them; these folders didn't import into Mail on the Mac.

3. When I read emails on my Mac, then opened my emails on my phone, the emails still showed as unread on my phone and vice versa.

mBox resolved all these problems. Of course, if those 3 things aren't problems for you, then you can just set up your account with Mail and you should be fine.

Ah - they aren't on the server because it's a @btopenworld.com address. They are pulled off and deleted from the server and only stored locally.

Jimmy_G 07-17-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondRow (Post 1266798)
Ah - they aren't on the server because it's a @btopenworld.com address. They are pulled off and deleted from the server and only stored locally.

Ah, blimey, we've kinda been talking at cross purposes - for some reason I thought that you could only use Windows Live Mail with Livemail, Hotmail etc addresses. So, forget all the above...

But, for anyone with a Hotmail address, the above applies and I can highly recommend mBox :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.