New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How long will it last?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacPastor

MacPastor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX

One of the main reasons why I ventured into the Mac world was because I have more dead pc's laying around here than I prefer to count.

Seems like they either die, or because of all the bloatware, spam, crap, blah blah blah, they become virtually unusable within a couple of years.

And I've heard stories of Mac users having the same computer for 10+ years and it works great. Obviously not as good as brand new ones, but still kicking as they should for what they are many years later.

Is this the rule for Mac's? Should I expect my iMac to be a solid computer for me for the next 5+ years or so? More?

Just curious what everyone's opinions are on how long a typical Mac would last.
QUOTE Thanks
bigmanofds

bigmanofds is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i5,8GB RAM, 500GB HD,

I plan to buy a Mac later this fall. This topic will be very interesting to me. I hope some of the more experience Mac users can give their opinions.
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD

Mine is about four months old and still kicking

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I have a G4 still running strong as a back-up server, now 10 years old and runs OSX tiger server (10.4)

I also own a Mac SE30 (1989) , works great as a book stop but still boots up and runs system 7 from the early nineties. Its not much use as it cannot connect to the internet and shares no ports or disk formats with modern macs - but still works as a little bit of Historic curiosity.

Macs do fail, but the vast majority still soldier on after many years doing useful work, so expect to still have a machine running as good as new in five years or more

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Just curious what everyone's opinions are on how long a typical Mac would last.
It's not so much a question of how long the hardware will last because Macs are built well and will for the most part last quite a while.

The problem is with today's rapid moving technology, your new Mac will likely be outmoded long before the hardware fails.
QUOTE Thanks
bigmanofds

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
I have a G4 still running strong as a back-up server, now 10 years old and runs OSX tiger server (10.4)

I also own a Mac SE30 (1989) , works great as a book stop but still boots up and runs system 7 from the early nineties. Its not much use as it cannot connect to the internet and shares no ports or disk formats with modern macs - but still works as a little bit of Historic curiosity.

Macs do fail, but the vast majority still soldier on after many years doing useful work, so expect to still have a machine running as good as new in five years or more
Thanks, five years is more than I have ever used a Windows machine. I am on 4 years with my current Windows PC and that is because of the recession.
QUOTE Thanks
bigmanofds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
It's not so much a question of how long the hardware will last because Macs are built well and will for the most part last quite a while.

The problem is with today's rapid moving technology, your new Mac will likely be outmoded long before the hardware fails.
That’s also a concern of mine…
QUOTE Thanks
bigmanofds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyMo View Post
Mine is about four months old and still kicking
Thank you too…
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

The one before lasted 4 years the current MBP 1.5 years.
QUOTE Thanks
r0ganj0sh

r0ganj0sh is on a distinguished road

My Macbook is coming up to 4 years i think and i cant count the amount of windows laptops my friends have gone through in that time. Still runs everything i need really well and is the best £800 or so pounds i have ever spent.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I have a 10yr old iMac running that i use for my 8yr old son so he can learn the Mac. Works great still running 10.4.11. I recently picked up a PowerMac G3 running OS 9 Bought it home hooked it up to my 46" TV and she booted up in 5 Mins. Still working like the day it came out. And my 2010 MBP is going well too.

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

My turn-around time is usually about 4 years. The last MBP is 4 years old and got slow editing HD video. So I just got a new iMac for those tasks, the MBP still runs super with everything else and I'm still using it for travelling.

QUOTE Thanks
bigmanofds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
My turn-around time is usually about 4 years. The last MBP is 4 years old and got slow editing HD video. So I just got a new iMac for those tasks, the MBP still runs super with everything else and I'm still using it for travelling.
You just helped me in my decision between a MBP and an iMac.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
randalthor

randalthor is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram

My G4 eMac 1.25GHz and G4 iMac 1GHz are both still around. They were released in 2003 and 2002 respectively. I hope this baby lasts that long.
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

My first macbook (2006) lasted 2 years. I only sold it 'cos I wanted to use more RAM.

My second macbook has lasted 3 years. It too is due to be sold soon, as I want more RAM, and its replacement (15" MBP) has been delivered.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hooking it all up! | A MacBook for college.... »