Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
    How long will it last?
    One of the main reasons why I ventured into the Mac world was because I have more dead pc's laying around here than I prefer to count.

Seems like they either die, or because of all the bloatware, spam, crap, blah blah blah, they become virtually unusable within a couple of years.

And I've heard stories of Mac users having the same computer for 10+ years and it works great. Obviously not as good as brand new ones, but still kicking as they should for what they are many years later.

Is this the rule for Mac's? Should I expect my iMac to be a solid computer for me for the next 5+ years or so? More?

Just curious what everyone's opinions are on how long a typical Mac would last.

Specs:
    i5,8GB RAM, 500GB HD,
    I plan to buy a Mac later this fall. This topic will be very interesting to me. I hope some of the more experience Mac users can give their opinions.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD
    Mine is about four months old and still kicking
    15" MacBook Pro

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    I have a G4 still running strong as a back-up server, now 10 years old and runs OSX tiger server (10.4)

I also own a Mac SE30 (1989) , works great as a book stop but still boots up and runs system 7 from the early nineties. Its not much use as it cannot connect to the internet and shares no ports or disk formats with modern macs - but still works as a little bit of Historic curiosity.

Macs do fail, but the vast majority still soldier on after many years doing useful work, so expect to still have a machine running as good as new in five years or more
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Just curious what everyone's opinions are on how long a typical Mac would last.
    It's not so much a question of how long the hardware will last because Macs are built well and will for the most part last quite a while.

The problem is with today's rapid moving technology, your new Mac will likely be outmoded long before the hardware fails.

Specs:
    i5,8GB RAM, 500GB HD,
    Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    I have a G4 still running strong as a back-up server, now 10 years old and runs OSX tiger server (10.4)

I also own a Mac SE30 (1989) , works great as a book stop but still boots up and runs system 7 from the early nineties. Its not much use as it cannot connect to the internet and shares no ports or disk formats with modern macs - but still works as a little bit of Historic curiosity.

Macs do fail, but the vast majority still soldier on after many years doing useful work, so expect to still have a machine running as good as new in five years or more
    Thanks, five years is more than I have ever used a Windows machine. I am on 4 years with my current Windows PC and that is because of the recession.

Specs:
    i5,8GB RAM, 500GB HD,
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    It's not so much a question of how long the hardware will last because Macs are built well and will for the most part last quite a while.

The problem is with today's rapid moving technology, your new Mac will likely be outmoded long before the hardware fails.
    That’s also a concern of mine…

Specs:
    i5,8GB RAM, 500GB HD,
    Quote Originally Posted by MontyMo View Post
    Mine is about four months old and still kicking
    Thank you too…

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    The one before lasted 4 years the current MBP 1.5 years.

My Macbook is coming up to 4 years i think and i cant count the amount of windows laptops my friends have gone through in that time. Still runs everything i need really well and is the best £800 or so pounds i have ever spent.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    I have a 10yr old iMac running that i use for my 8yr old son so he can learn the Mac. Works great still running 10.4.11. I recently picked up a PowerMac G3 running OS 9 Bought it home hooked it up to my 46" TV and she booted up in 5 Mins. Still working like the day it came out. And my 2010 MBP is going well too.

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

My turn-around time is usually about 4 years. The last MBP is 4 years old and got slow editing HD video. So I just got a new iMac for those tasks, the MBP still runs super with everything else and I'm still using it for travelling.

Specs:
    i5,8GB RAM, 500GB HD,
    Quote Originally Posted by dekan View Post
    My turn-around time is usually about 4 years. The last MBP is 4 years old and got slow editing HD video. So I just got a new iMac for those tasks, the MBP still runs super with everything else and I'm still using it for travelling.
    You just helped me in my decision between a MBP and an iMac.

Thanks

Specs:
    2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
    My G4 eMac 1.25GHz and G4 iMac 1GHz are both still around. They were released in 2003 and 2002 respectively. I hope this baby lasts that long.

My first macbook (2006) lasted 2 years. I only sold it 'cos I wanted to use more RAM.

My second macbook has lasted 3 years. It too is due to be sold soon, as I want more RAM, and its replacement (15" MBP) has been delivered.

Thread Information