New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

application for read PC-formatted storage media on Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gib65

gib65 is on a distinguished road

I have a few media devices such as external hard drives, flash drives, an ipod, etc. Some are formated for PC, others for Mac. It would be really convenient if there was an applications out there that could interface between a device formatted for one platform and a computer expecting a different format. In other words, an application that would be installed on my PC that would allow me to plug in my Mac-formatted ipod and be able to read it. And of course, an application that would be installed on my Mac that would allow me to plug in my PC-formatted hard drive and be able to read it.

Is there such a thing? Can it be downloaded/installed for free?
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

OSX can READ FAT, FAT32, NTFS.
OSX can write to FAT, FAT32.

The iPod uses iTunes, available for both Mac and PC. You do not directly access an iPod unless it has been hacked, in which case it depends on what you hacked it with.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The mac will not have a problem with PC formatted media, see above

For the PC to read Mac formatted disk try MacDrive

MacDrive Mediafour

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
The mac will not have a problem with PC formatted media, see above

For the PC to read Mac formatted disk try MacDrive

MacDrive Mediafour
Another option is to get Paragon NTFS for Mac, which will give you full read/write support for NTFS. Additionally, it comes with a driver to R/W to Mac volumes from Windows.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
gib65

gib65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
OSX can READ FAT, FAT32, NTFS.
OSX can write to FAT, FAT32.

The iPod uses iTunes, available for both Mac and PC. You do not directly access an iPod unless it has been hacked, in which case it depends on what you hacked it with.
I know I can access my ipod on my Mac like a flash drive. If I try to do this on my PC (right-click > explore) it tells me it is not formatted (for PC).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
feralicious

feralicious is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-

MacFuse will have you reading AND writing to NTFS drives on your Mac for free.

I put it on my Mac Pro last month so I could shift around a bunch of data and reformat a drive and it works like a charm!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The problem with MacFuse is that the free version has been buggy. The pay version works fine according to user reports. I don't know about the latest version of MacFuse though. Maybe someone who is using it can comment. However, another free way to read and write to NTFS if you're using Snow Leopard is NTFSMounter.

Also, there are some reports that Lion will natively be able to read and write to NTFS formatted drives.
QUOTE Thanks
feralicious

feralicious is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro "Harpertown" - 2x 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 12gb RAM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The problem with MacFuse is that the free version has been buggy. The pay version works fine according to user reports. I don't know about the latest version of MacFuse though. Maybe someone who is using it can comment.
As I mentioned above, I just used the free version. Copied hundreds of gb to and from the drive and it worked perfectly.
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

I had to see what you were talking about gib65, mine acknowledges but just shows as an empty drive.. But yes Mac Drive or xplay (as Loushen said) but it's not free.. Products Mediafour, here also is some good advice... Mac iPod on Windows? - The macosxhints Forums it's an older thread but there might be other alternatives out there by now..

My advice would be to copy all to your mac 'before' you try the method on the 6th post..

Good luck!

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to copy Itunes-library to SD-or USB-card for car radio | Switched from Outlook to Apple Mail/iCal/Address Book »