New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac OS X Lion upgrade question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chomper

chomper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9

Hello,

when I bought my Mac, it came with Snow Leopard 10.6.3. I'm now running version 10.6.8 and so I'm ready to upgrade to Lion. But what will happen if I need to reinstall Lion in the future? Am I going to go through the rigamarole of installing SL 10.6.3 from my restore flashdisk, downloading all the updates and upgrading to 10.6.8 and downloading the Lion upgrade from the App Store again?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Let's wait for a few more days for Lion to be released before starting to worry about fresh installation and all that..

Hard to imagine that Apple completely forgot about those who might want to do a fresh install for one reason or another and force customers to start with SL 10.6.8 before getting Lion..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Do a Google on how to burn Lion to a bootable DVD. TUAW has one for starters. After installing going to copy the download to a 16GB SanDisk Cruzer.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Just for the record, Apple has already said that the download should fit on a 8GB thumb drive ... may even (just) fit on a 4GB thumb drive. Lion is more of a makeover (visually) than a revolution under the hood -- more like a tune-up of SL from that perspective.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think I have a few things gumming up the works in my user account so I was planning a clean install anyway. Once that is done I'll add the stuff I need and then clone that.

I might go the flash drive route but then again I have a remarkable capacity to loose those things.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

As Harry stated: "How to burn a Lion boot disk" LINK

That's what I intend to do although I may (as chas_m mentioned) burn it to a flash drive instead.
QUOTE Thanks
ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

Some very good points brought up. I do still wish we had an option of getting an original disk. Also, if I'm not mistaken, if you download same from the APP store, you can down load same at a later date if need be. Is there a time limit on how long you can still down load the program or APP after you purchased same from the APP store? Thanks.

May God bless.

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

ronin: no, there's no time limit -- BUT if the publisher ever decides to pull the app from the App Store at some point in the future (either its discontinued or whatever), then its an open question if you'll be able to re-download. So I continue to back up my digital purchases and encourage everyone to do the same.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
ronin: no, there's no time limit -- BUT if the publisher ever decides to pull the app from the App Store at some point in the future (either its discontinued or whatever), then its an open question if you'll be able to re-download. So I continue to back up my digital purchases and encourage everyone to do the same.

VERY good advise Chas. I do the same just in case.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Just for the record, Apple has already said that the download should fit on a 8GB thumb drive ... may even (just) fit on a 4GB thumb drive. Lion is more of a makeover (visually) than a revolution under the hood -- more like a tune-up of SL from that perspective.
Since the Thumb drive has to be partitioned with EFI for it to boot, the EFI takes just enough so it will not quite fit. An 8GB drive works. That is all I can say till the 14th.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It should, however, fit on a standard DVD which is larger than 4 GB. The EFI only takes up around 200 MB and since a DVD will hold 4.7 GB, even allowing space for the TOC, the image should fit. It would be a good idea though to have both a bootable DVD and flash drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris_B

Chris_B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

I think there will be a DVD option, perhaps not sold direct by Apple but they'll advise. Based on what Apple has told us so far if we install a new blank HDD, we need to install SL and then upgrade/install Lion.

2013 MacBook Air 13" / 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 128 GB SSD / OSX Mavericks 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Apple has made it pretty clear they will NOT be selling a DVD version. At all.

They will probably, however, offer instructions on how to MAKE a DVD version for those who want that. If they don't, every Mac magazine and website on the planet will the moment they figure it out.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

It does fit just fine on a normal 4.7GB DVD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleting multiple user accounts | What has happened to my mac »