New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hassles connecting to public networks - HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

twitch78

twitch78 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I have just signed up to this forum so please forgive me if this question has already been answered. I have bought a new Macbook Pro and I am about to go on a trip interstate and I need to use the internet while i'm away. My old Sony Vaio laptop was good for being able to scan local area networks to find unlocked internet for usage - like McDonalds ect. With the Macbook Pro I turned on Airport and I can't seem to connect to anything, it asks for a password or tries to connect me to a pay system. Is there a way around this? Am I using the right setting or does anyone know what I can do to be able to connect to a network without the hassles?

Cheers,
Twitch
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Well I have to ask the most obvious question first: have you verified that there are, in point of fact, unlocked open networks where you are? Or perhaps the "open" networks you are trying to join have a log-in page that comes up later?

You can test this pretty easily by going to the nearest Starbucks (and there is one of those places on every corner it seems!). One can easily join their network, but when you open a browser (before doing anything else, like trying to check email), you'll be automatically sent to a "landing page" where you must agree to their T&C (a checkbox) and then press connect. Only THEN will you be able to surf, check email and so forth.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thank you Windows for helping confirm my decision! | Question about external harddrive »