New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Older 20GB iPOD dock doesn't work with new iMAC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

Help, the dock that came with my wife's older (circa Dec 2003) 20 GB iPOD doesn't connect to my new iMac

Does Apple or third party make an adapter?

Thanks

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That looks like a Firewire 400 Port. Apple has removed the older FW400 port and gone with FW800.

You either need a FW400 to FW800 Adapter or a USB Dock cable for iPod.

http://www.amazon.com/elago-FireWire...0221679&sr=8-1

The FW 400-800 adapter would be the best as the older iPods need FW to charge them. I have a 20GB 3rd Generation and it will not charge by USB.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I have that exact same dock for older iPods. I have mine connected with a USB cable from the dock to the iMac. Target sells a cable kit for iPods for around $25. The kit has two cables; one for the Shuffle and one for the Nano. Use the one for the Nano. (It fits the dock.)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Which iPod is it?
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

Went to Best Buy and they had a cable that replaced the original Apple cable that fit into the base. It ends in a USB plug. So I'm good to go. Just updated my wife's iPOD.

BTW this iPOD was purchased back in Dec 2003 so I'm not sure if it's a 1st or 2nd generation iPOD but after Apple replaced it in 2005 because of a faulty battery it has continued to function like new. My wife travels a lot and says she routinely gets 8+hours from the battery.

Cheers

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Had the same issue with my ipod photo, i was able to use the usb one just fine
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« App Store not opening. | Thank you Windows for helping confirm my decision! »