New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to clone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the.gosine

the.gosine is on a distinguished road

Hi there, i'm having trouble figuring out how to clone my mac.

i'd like to mac a copy of it and put it on an external before i update to lion.
Pro tools (ie. my livelihood) is notoriously bad for keeping up with apples OS updates and their updates usually come month(s) after. So my solution to this was maybe i could put my mac as is on an external and that way when i need to use pro tools i can boot form that external and use snow leopard.

and then when lion comes out i can just use my mac unitl pro tools gets updated.

willt his work? if so, how would i go about copying my mac as is now to a external
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

SuperDuper!
or
Carbon Copy Cloner

Both free. It's really easy and I've used SD! for a while now with no issues. External must be formatted as HFS+ using Disk Utility.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
the.gosine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
SuperDuper!
or
Carbon Copy Cloner

Both free. It's really easy and I've used SD! for a while now with no issues. External must be formatted as HFS+ using Disk Utility.
hi! thank you for your post, i'm going to try out using Super Duper right now.

How can i check if my drive is HFS+? i thought it was but now i'm not sure.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Go into 'About this Mac', 'More Information', 'Serial-ATA' and look for file system towards the bottom of the entry. As a suggestion buy the registered version of SuperDuper. it is many, many times faster than the free unregistered version, and Smart Backup will do a weekly clone in about four minutes keeping your external disk up to date and bootable.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
the.gosine

Well everything worked
i have a question now.

do i basically have 2 macs now? the version on the external still has all my old programs i'd like to delte it and only keep my work programs, can i do that?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. With the external connected, go into Disk Utility on the MBP, select the external drive and hit the 'Erase' button. Then do a Repair Disk to check out the drive. Make sure you have selected the external drive before this will work.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
the.gosine

thanks harry, got a clone on my external now!
i'm gonna start uninstalling applications and its like i have two macs

like my personal laptop soon to be on lion with everything on it

and an external i can boot off of with only work applications on snow leopard

makes sense right?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

To boot from the external you will need an operating system regardless if it be Lion or Snow Leopard.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Joining MF with my new MBP | Helpppppp »