Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Money managment software
    Just got a new IMac last weekend. I'm liking it so far but need some advice on some software.

In the past I have used Quicken on my PC. I do as much of my finances online as I can and liked how easy it was to keep track of my bank accounts.

I see Quicken has a Mac version but it sounds like it's pretty basic. Anyone have any experiance with it? Anything else that someone might recommend?

Thanks

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    we have had several posts on this one, try doing a search or start with (suggested by chscag in a previous post)

Accounting Software For Mac - iSoftwareReviews
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
    Personally, I use iBank.

Specs:
    iMac: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini2, iPhone5s
    Hi and welcome.

As an MS Money user of many years, when I moved over to mac a couple of years back I had to keep my windows running to run MS Money as I could not find anything nearly as good in the mac world.

After a lot of reading reviews, trialling software and keeping tabs on postings here I eventually settled on iBank (incidentally my first App Store purchase) and have not looked back. It does all that I used MS Money for and although I wasn't sure about the look and feel (all those icons taking up valuable screen space) it grew on me very quickly and MS Money is now but a distant memory.

And those icons? I'm loving them now. They make visual searching so much quicker and I quite enjoyed searching and selecting appropriate ones for wach account,payee etc.

For details see iBank | Mac finance software, personal money management and small business application for OS X
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Specs:
    Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
    I use the new version of Quicken for Mac. It's called Essentials. I actually prefer it over IBank.
    For budgeting I use YNAB.

The combination of the two works well for me.

Regards,

Pat
    15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.

Specs:
    27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
    I have Quicken Essentials...hate it. I went back to my laptop so that I could use Quicken there. If I ever get any spare time I'll try iBank.

Just switched and went through this. Spent a lot of time studying the problem, as I am a longtime Quicken user in Windows. Ended up being a no brainer for me: installed Parallels and run Windows 7 in Convergence mode so I can run Quicken. Works great, but of course added the cost of buying Windows. I had ordered 4 GB of RAM on my new iMac, but I think I'll be upgrading that to allow Windows and MacOS to run together a bit better, given my style of use.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    FWIW Quicken Essentials is on sale right now for 50% off so it's only $24.99
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Don't get me started on this topic... This is a real weak spot for the Mac, and I posted an enormous rant about this in about 2007. What's funny is that everything I said then is still true now.

Quicken Essentials certainly looks nice, but it's a baby app in every sense of the word. Intuit didn't think that Mac owners would care about real financial software, probably thinking we're all trust-fund hipsters with no concept of investing, budgeting or using any currency aside from USD. So if you have to track an investment account, pay bills, have accounts in more than one currency, or need robust reporting, QE is not for you.

iBank is probably the best, but it's buggy, slow and has terrible budgeting and reporting. It's still a one-developer operation and he's pretty thinly spread between the iPad development, Mac development and iPhone development. It's hard to see how much longevity is in this app.

MoneyWell is another good one, but again it lacks investment tracking (the developer has been promising it since about 2008, but there is still no sign of it), bill pay and other things Quicken windows users have had since Clinton was president.

MoneyDance and MyMoney are both cross platform efforts written in Java. They're not bad, but look like mid-90's linux apps. So, like many other switchers, I run a virtual machine just to keep my finances in order, which is mildly ridiculous.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
    Intuit didn't think that Mac owners would care about real financial software, probably thinking we're all trust-fund hipsters with no concept of investing, budgeting or using any currency aside from USD.
    We're not?
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    FWIW Quicken Essentials is on sale right now for 50% off so it's only $24.99
    That's about $24.99 too much...

Specs:
    25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
    Why doesn't Intuit just get off their butts and come out with a new version? Lots of us use/have used the Windoze version of Quicken and loved it. How hard is it to replicate that same software into a Mac environment?

I've seen figures that Mac are 11% of the PC market and growing. It's not like it's a boutique market, so why isn't somebody jumping into the breech to offer a good piece of comparable Mac software? Just blows my mind
     24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
     2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
     iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
     iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5

Specs:
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    Nobody mentioned Money 4 so…
    Jumsoft | Money
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 3.5 Ghz 6 Core XEON, 1TB SSD,64GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 480GB SSD, 500GB HD, 16GB
    Some of the speculation on Quicken for Windows is that the current version is the last desktop version they will market. Future versions will be Cloud apps. If this is true, I will kiss Quicken goodbye on my windows machines, but it could be a reason for the lack of an updated Mac version - there would be no need if it becomes a true Cloud app.

Specs:
    25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
    I don't want my financial stuff to be cloud based, but maybe it's just me
     24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
     2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
     iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
     iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5

Thread Information