New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Getting my 1st 2008 mbp tomorrow non unibody

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dchinn83

Dchinn83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP 13 inch unibody 2.3ghz intel i5, 8gb DDR3, 500gb Seagate momentus XT HD, Mac OS X Lion 10.7

I'm getting my very first MacBook pro early 2008 non unibody 17 inch 4gb ram 500gb hdd snow leopard 10.6.8. Tell me what you guys think and I wanna know if there are any known issues with this model. I have heard problems with the display screen and the graphics card coming loose and the display turns off. I'm trading my Asus w90vp-x2 for the MacBook btw.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Please pay attention to the forum you're posting in. I've moved your post here where it belongs. It does not belong in the "Lounge". Read the forum descriptions and all Sticky notes at the top of each forum before posting.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Dchinn83

Mac Specs: 2011 MBP 13 inch unibody 2.3ghz intel i5, 8gb DDR3, 500gb Seagate momentus XT HD, Mac OS X Lion 10.7

Sorry I'm a newbie

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

I actually have that exact model, except mine doesn't have the HDD upgrade. It's performed like a champ so far, save for a couple problems caused by coffee getting spilled on it. As for known issues, nothing comes immediately to mind, though I have had to replace rubber feet on the bottom a couple times. Standard Krazy glue should do the trick if you run into that situation.

There is also an issue with the 8600M video card in this model Nvidia admitted to existing, but it never happened with mine and I used to play WoW on this thing all the time - therefore, I'd surmise that yours having a problem with that is up to chance.

One piece of advice: when you get the notebook, be sure to run Software Update and get everything. There have been a number of firmware updates for the machine with useful effects, such as allowing it to charge via the newer MagSafe adapters (great if you're visiting a friend and just want to use his charger while his MBP is unplugged).
QUOTE Thanks
Dchinn83

Thank you very much and yah I heard about the graphics card and Mac or nvidia supposed to cover it if it happens. I saw a review on YouTube about it.

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

My impression was that they would only cover it in the first two years after original purchase. If it dies on us now, we're screwed.
QUOTE Thanks
Dchinn83

Dang well I hope it doesn't happen to the MacBook I'm getting today.

QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

my friend has this one and she hasnt had an issue with hers.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
My impression was that they would only cover it in the first two years after original purchase. If it dies on us now, we're screwed.
It's covered outside warranty. It's a manufacturing issue, and Nvidia is paying for the replacements (although only Apple would care who is paying)

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
It's covered outside warranty. It's a manufacturing issue, and Nvidia is paying for the replacements (although only Apple would care who is paying)
Two years wasn't referring to the warranty period. Apple was only replacing the logic boards for that specific issue outside of warranty up to two years after purchase date (which is longer than the standard warranty period of one year, albeit kind of short in my opinion).

That said, it seems Apple has extended the program since last I checked, likely due to the successful lawsuit they carried out together with HP and Dell against Nvidia - now it is providing service to replace these logic boards up to 4 years from the original purchase date, as outlined in this knowledgebase article:

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

So rejoice, Dchinn. We're good until early next year!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« buffering problem | Switching to Lion »