New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New to Macs...and LOVE it so far!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iBoz

iBoz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP: 2.0 GHz, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M

Hey all,

Like the title says, I am the proud owner of a new Macbook Pro 15". I've been spending many nights on this forum, learning the basic "how to" along with other cool items. I can honestly say that OS X is quite a spectacular operating system. I do have a question though regarding the manufacturer warranty and Applecare. I realize that I have a one year, manufacturer warranty that comes with my laptop. I was obviously looking into purchasing the 3 year Applecare warranty. My questions: When is the very last possible day I can purchase the Applecare plan? Also, does the Applecare plan cover such things as: accidental drops, spills, faulty hardware? I spent $1700 on my Mac, and want to ensure that it stays safe for as long as possible. Thank you for any information you can give me guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 272897_10150256322588944_500423943_7553507_4542447_o.jpg (220.9 KB, 49 views)

1st Mac: 2011 MBP: 2.0 Ghz Quad Core i7 / 4 GB / 500 GB HD / AMD Radeon 6490M
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

You have up to the last day of your year for apple care.

if you want accidental damage you need to look into Square Trade warranties.

The other option you have is with your car insurance company many will have a personal property plan you can buy. I bought one a while back on my digital slr camera $35 a year no deductible.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoz View Post
My questions: When is the very last possible day I can purchase the Applecare plan? Also, does the Applecare plan cover such things as: accidental drops, spills, faulty hardware?
To elaborate on Ranimac's answer a bit, you have until the 364th day after purchase (based on your registration of the Mac, if you haven't done that you need to do it immediately!) to buy AppleCare. If you want telephone support for the full term of the three years, you need to buy Applecare by the 90th day to ensure uninterrupted telephone support.

I strongly recommend NOT waiting till the very last minute, as it's just FAR too easy to miss it and be without it at the period when you will need it most -- the end of the manufacturer's warranty.

Applecare does NOT cover any form of "user abuse" such as accidental drops or spills. It DOES cover faulty hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

Welcome to the forums, and I'm glad to hear that you're lovin' the machine!

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
iBoz

Thanks all, I plan on picking up the Applecare this weekend. It'll serve as a little piece of mind, knowing I have a backup besides the 1 year warranty.

QUOTE Thanks
Dchinn83

Dchinn83 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP 13 inch unibody 2.3ghz intel i5, 8gb DDR3, 500gb Seagate momentus XT HD, Mac OS X Lion 10.7

I can't wait to get an iMac or MacBook pro. I just have to sell or trade my laptop and guitar first lol.

QUOTE Thanks
iBoz

ha, well I've only owned mine for...4 days now and can honestly say it's been the best laptop I've owned. Everything from the build structure to the OS has been a pleasant experience. Now the fun part of really seeing what it can do is next...

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

A good place to get some guidance on that is your local Mac User Group, if there is one near you. The local Apple Retail Store (again, if there is one near you) also offers free seminars (some of the independent dealers do this as well). Apple also offers a "one on one" service where the employees will sit down with you in a focused session to address your specific questions. I believe it costs $100 but you can make appointments for this for an entire year.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How can you tell? 64 bit? | Sidebar Problem »