New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacKeeper

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JohnDobbs

JohnDobbs is on a distinguished road

Any thoughts about MacKeeper?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDobbs View Post
Any thoughts about MacKeeper?
Avoid like the plague. The forum is riddled with commentaries on this piece of crud. Feel free to use the forum's SEARCH function.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnDobbs

Thanks. I did use the search function and it came up with two posts... one "avoid like the plague" with no reasons why. Anyhow... maybe I was only searching this forum and not the others. Learning my way. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDobbs View Post
Thanks. I did use the search function and it came up with two posts... one "avoid like the plague" with no reasons why. Anyhow... maybe I was only searching this forum and not the others. Learning my way. Thanks again.
I get 56 hits when searching, but in a nutshell… the single biggest problem is the way it's marketed and spammed. There are dozens of websites purporting to do independent reviews of MacKeeper that are NOT independent and are really the equivalents of an infomercial. They also have a "Social Media Evangelist" who haunts various forums and review sites like MacUpdate, attacking any negative commentary on MacKeeper. They've spammed this forum with faked inquiries followed by faked praise for the software. They are sleazy and deceptive. Never mind that the software itself is buggy, does nothing particularly useful, is a resource hog, and difficult to get rid of. The AV component isn't even Mac-native… it uses Windows-software and WINE to get it to work in OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnDobbs

I appreciate your time and explanation. Will ... avoid like the plague!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Second all that lifeisabeach has said. Avoid Ukraine software like that plague!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

If you're looking for a Mac antivirus, check out this thread. It provides both advice and links:

Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

As for the routine maintenance aspect, check out Onyx.

Good luck,

Z
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBookPro battery life | Run format from windows or mac »