Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 06, 2011
    Location
    Puyallup, WA, USA
    Posts
    20
    Specs:
    Quad-core 2.2ghz i7, 8gb DDR3, 128GB SSD+750GB 2nd HDD, 1680x1050
    Joining MF with my new MBP
    Hey, Everyone!

    I decided it wouldn't hurt to track down a decent Mac-related forum given I am a few weeks into owning a 15" MacBook Pro.

    After swallowing the price tag, I walked away with (more like received from FedEx):

    MacBook Pro - 15"
    1680x1050 Glossy display
    128gb SSD
    4gb DDR3
    Quad-core 2.2ghz i7

    Since I knew I could add more storage and ram for cheaper than Apple wanted, I bought a 750GB WD Black 7200RPM drive and an adapter caddie and swapped out my SuperDrive, and I swapped my 2x2GB RAM sticks for 2x4GB sticks.

    I could have gone for the standard HDD on order and replaced it and added another 750 for 1.5TB but I wanted the speed I know all too well with my high-end custom tower.

    Although I bought a mac laptop, I do not plan on ditching Windows. This mac is replacing a 4 year old Sony laptop that I loved but was not performing up to spec for what I needed it and I wanted a machine that I didn't have to worry about and have to fork over cash to upgrade every six months because software is overpowering it. That idea is for my tower that sports six 3.2ghz cores, 8GB of ram, 3TB of 7200RPM drives and an SSD, a BD-RW drive, two Radeon 6850s and a 1kw power supply.

    I got a nice discount being a student and working for my search engine employer. It's a fun machine. I transferred over my iTunes (350GB worth) and went shopping at the App Store. I love Angry Birds and as odd as it seems, Office for Mac works much better than Office for Windows. >.> I don't know how to take that.

    (Why not use OpenOffice or Pages?) Because they do not serve nearly enough of my needs. My school requires native Word usage and since I got it for half price anyways, it's not a big deal. I did buy Keynote, however. I love it much more over PowerPoint.

    So now that I've gotten that out of the way... Hi!

  2. #2

    McYukon's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 14, 2009
    Location
    Near Whitehorse, Yukon
    Posts
    2,052
    Specs:
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    Welcome!
    Fantastic machine you bought there. My brother has one and I'm envious of it's speed
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jul 06, 2011
    Location
    Puyallup, WA, USA
    Posts
    20
    Specs:
    Quad-core 2.2ghz i7, 8gb DDR3, 128GB SSD+750GB 2nd HDD, 1680x1050
    Quote Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
    Welcome!
    Fantastic machine you bought there. My brother has one and I'm envious of it's speed
    Don't be envious of how warm it gets, though . I guess if it wasn't Summer where I live it wouldn't be so bad.
    -- Johnathan Lyman

    ** Disclaimer: Even though I work for Google, Inc., my opinions, statements, and or suggestions do not reflect the views or positions of my employer. **

  4. #4

    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,625
    Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnathan.Lyman View Post
    Don't be envious of how warm it gets, though . I guess if it wasn't Summer where I live it wouldn't be so bad.
    That's why they make lap desks.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

    Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jul 06, 2011
    Location
    Puyallup, WA, USA
    Posts
    20
    Specs:
    Quad-core 2.2ghz i7, 8gb DDR3, 128GB SSD+750GB 2nd HDD, 1680x1050
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    That's why they make lap desks.
    Lap desks can't help you with a hot frame around your keyboard >.>.
    -- Johnathan Lyman

    ** Disclaimer: Even though I work for Google, Inc., my opinions, statements, and or suggestions do not reflect the views or positions of my employer. **

  6. #6

    McYukon's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 14, 2009
    Location
    Near Whitehorse, Yukon
    Posts
    2,052
    Specs:
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    Lol, your right about the heat!
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

  7. #7

    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Welcome Jonathan, glad to have you here!
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  8. #8

    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,625
    Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnathan.Lyman View Post
    Lap desks can't help you with a hot frame around your keyboard >.>.
    So true.

    Better the outside of your Mac gets hot than melt the insides.

    You ever see guitarists wear sport wrist bands to protect from rubbing against the guitar body? Pretty clever... You could start a trend. haha
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

    Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Jul 06, 2011
    Location
    Puyallup, WA, USA
    Posts
    20
    Specs:
    Quad-core 2.2ghz i7, 8gb DDR3, 128GB SSD+750GB 2nd HDD, 1680x1050
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    Welcome Jonathan, glad to have you here!
    Thanks for the welcome but I'm already starting to regret coming here. If I had known I would be ruthlessly attacked by trolls and their flaming posts, I wouldn't have joined.
    -- Johnathan Lyman

    ** Disclaimer: Even though I work for Google, Inc., my opinions, statements, and or suggestions do not reflect the views or positions of my employer. **

  10. #10

    Moss's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 22, 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    368
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
    Welcome! I see no ruthless attacks made here, so you must be referring to another thread...
    Facebook|Twitter
    If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!

  11. #11

    robduckyworth's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2011
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    2,971
    Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnathan.Lyman View Post
    Although I bought a mac laptop, I do not plan on ditching Windows. This mac is replacing a 4 year old Sony laptop that I loved but was not performing up to spec for what I needed it and I wanted a machine that I didn't have to worry about and have to fork over cash to upgrade every six months because software is overpowering it. That idea is for my tower that sports six 3.2ghz cores, 8GB of ram, 3TB of 7200RPM drives and an SSD, a BD-RW drive, two Radeon 6850s and a 1kw power supply.
    I think Mac laptops are the best in the world. no other notebook can match up to its portability, build quality and versatility. What the Mac lacks is a desktop which can match a desktop PC in the same price range, which is never going to happen.

    Building a PC is always going to be more bang for your buck in that scenario.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

  12. #12

    robduckyworth's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2011
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    2,971
    Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnathan.Lyman View Post
    Thanks for the welcome but I'm already starting to regret coming here. If I had known I would be ruthlessly attacked by trolls and their flaming posts, I wouldn't have joined.
    One member is not a reason to hate the forum. Id say just let it go, and don't respond to anything else he says. In future if you feel a post is rude, use the rep system.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

  13. #13


    Member Since
    Jul 06, 2011
    Location
    Puyallup, WA, USA
    Posts
    20
    Specs:
    Quad-core 2.2ghz i7, 8gb DDR3, 128GB SSD+750GB 2nd HDD, 1680x1050
    Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Welcome! I see no ruthless attacks made here, so you must be referring to another thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
    One member is not a reason to hate the forum. Id say just let it go, and don't respond to anything else he says. In future if you feel a post is rude, use the rep system.
    I might have jumped to conclusions a bit too quickly. I guess there's always one in the group.

    Quote Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
    I think Mac laptops are the best in the world. no other notebook can match up to its portability, build quality and versatility. What the Mac lacks is a desktop which can match a desktop PC in the same price range, which is never going to happen.

    Building a PC is always going to be more bang for your buck in that scenario.
    Building a desktop PC, that is. I don't think I could ever pay the price for a Mac Mini or Pro. If it had more current graphics cards available and allowed for RAIDing SSDs, it may be slightly more appealing but in the $1500 I've spent on my desktop rig, I would be paying well over twice that. I get where the quality comes in but when building it myself, I have no one but to blame but me for issues. (Plus warranties on the parts are much higher in case there is a failure).
    -- Johnathan Lyman

    ** Disclaimer: Even though I work for Google, Inc., my opinions, statements, and or suggestions do not reflect the views or positions of my employer. **

  14. #14

    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,625
    Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnathan.Lyman View Post
    Thanks for the welcome but I'm already starting to regret coming here. If I had known I would be ruthlessly attacked by trolls and their flaming posts, I wouldn't have joined.
    I'm assuming you're referring to the anti-virus "discussion" in another thread.
    An individual needs a lot thicker skin than that if they are to enjoy the internet. Especially if they are involved in any sort of interaction with other human beings. Just relax and enjoy the forums and the wealth of experience and knowledge here. You received a pretty warm welcome in this thread, so focus on that.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

    Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Jul 06, 2011
    Location
    Puyallup, WA, USA
    Posts
    20
    Specs:
    Quad-core 2.2ghz i7, 8gb DDR3, 128GB SSD+750GB 2nd HDD, 1680x1050
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    I'm assuming you're referring to the anti-virus "discussion" in another thread.
    An individual needs a lot thicker skin than that if they are to enjoy the internet. Especially if they are involved in any sort of interaction with other human beings. Just relax and enjoy the forums and the wealth of experience and knowledge here. You received a pretty warm welcome in this thread, so focus on that.
    Yeah, you're probably right. I get enough crap as it is for not being anti-mac, I would think I'd be used to whatever craziness comes my way. Most of the time I'm alright. I don't know what happened. It might have been because it read like a troll comment about mac a/v. Who knows. >.> Oh well!
    -- Johnathan Lyman

    ** Disclaimer: Even though I work for Google, Inc., my opinions, statements, and or suggestions do not reflect the views or positions of my employer. **

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. joining up two Macs...
    By dresdenwitch in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 07:47 AM
  2. joining files together
    By danhowe in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 10:27 PM
  3. Joining AVI files together
    By nepgunes in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 11:12 PM
  4. avi joining
    By fludie in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 01:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •