New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Using Mac with Windows Domain remotely

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hongman

hongman is on a distinguished road

Hi all

Just bought one of my clients an Apple iMac desktop all-in-one.

This will be his home PC, and I need to set it up so he can work from it remotely by connecting in via PPTP VPN.

I have also got Windows 7 Pro Retail and Parallels for Mac.

I'd appreciate some pointers on what or how I need to do things so it all works!

I am very familiar with Windows OS's but I have never really used a Mac at all, so I'm afraid you'll have to treat me like a 5yr old on this!

1. How do I set up a PPTP VPN (Server is Windows 2008 R2 using Routing and Remote Access)
2. How do I map a network drive?
3. How do I set default file associations for Word, Excel, etc to use the MS Office 2010 in Parallels?
4. The iMac comes with 4GB RAM. Is this sufficient to run both Windows 7 apps and Mac at the same time? No idea how resource hungry Mac OS is.
5. Does Parallels open a new window to work within ala RDP or does it do seamless application ala Citrix Apps?

As long as I can show my user how to:

1. Dial up VPN
2. Access network drive
3. Open/Print/Edit Word/Excel Docs
4. Access Outlook (Parallels) (Exchange 2010)

Then the rest he can figure out for himself, he's the one who insisted on a Mac!

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

I access the server(2008SBS) via vpn then use microsoft remote desktop connection for mac, to connect to my works desktop as a thin client, much easier and quicker, can run programs everything no problem, no need for parallels or other virtual software.

Re setting up a vpn connection on the mac open up network preferences(click on the wireless icon on the taskbar and go to network preferences), from the list of connections click the plus sign and chose vpn as your interface, set up as necessary for your network.
QUOTE Thanks
hongman

Thanks.

I have considered RDP but printing is always an issue. Print over Terminal Services never works as it should!
QUOTE Thanks
ron4mac

ron4mac will become famous soon enough

My wife used Microsoft RDC for quite a while in a scenario like that. Had few problems (including printing to our local printer).
QUOTE Thanks
hongman

Yes, hence why I need to do VPN + shared network drive for documents.

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« msn video call thumbnail? | A good screen recorder? »