New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

He wants to trade PB for my iBook.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Hey,

I just got this offer for my iBook and was wondering what you all think???

Here are the specs of my ibook:
12"
768mb ram
BT
80GB
1.4GHz
Wireless

etc.....

Here are the specs of the Powerbook that this guy wants to trade with me for it:

1GB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x512 SO-DIMMs
100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400rpm
8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
15.2-inch TFT XGA Display
1.67GHz PowerPC G4
64MB VRAM

So what do you guys think???

Is this a wise decision and if so, what is the best way to go about trading???

Thanks

Shane
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

By the way, the reason I have posted this in here is because I am a recent switcher and want to get opinions of other switchers.
QUOTE Thanks
AlexN

It's a good deal. But I'm curious, why would he make such offer?
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRock
Hey,
what is the best way to go about trading???

Thanks

Shane
The best way is to see/try the Powerbook before you hand over the iBook. I agree it 'seems' like a good deal, but what if there is something wrong or broken on the Powerbook? Does it come with Applecare? If not, is it less than a year old? Yes? You can buy Applecare for it. Remaining warranty? Get original receipts. You need to be cautious here because you've invested alot in your ibook.
QUOTE Thanks
TTheInfamous1

TTheInfamous1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryc
The best way is to see/try the Powerbook before you hand over the iBook. I agree it 'seems' like a good deal, but what if there is something wrong or broken on the Powerbook? Does it come with Applecare? If not, is it less than a year old? Yes? You can buy Applecare for it. Remaining warranty? Get original receipts. You need to be cautious here because you've invested alot in your ibook.
I agree. If its too good to be true, it usually is. Be very careful. This deal seems very shady. Be sure to try everything on the PB that you would with your own Mac. See if you can borrow it for the day up untill a certin time. Offer up some collateral other than your iBook if possible.

TJ
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

This is too good to be true. The PB has better specs and a larger screen. Why would someone want to, essentially, trade 'down'?
QUOTE Thanks
nicklwj

nicklwj is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

wait until intel comes out?

nicklwj@gmail.com|Ugliness Shall Not Be Tolerated...
QUOTE Thanks
Biturbo V12 AMG

yea i would say its a stolen computer take the serial and call apple. you can get his buy asking the guy if you can try the computer for a day. that model cost $2,600. so its odd that he will trade you for a Ibook that prob half the cost. maybe he wants a none stolen computer to sell on ebay?
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

Thanks for the Feedback guys, it has opened my eyes up! I don't think I'll be parting with my iBook anytime soon if thats the case.

My main problem is I live in Ireland (Europe) and this guy is in the U.S so if I trade I dont think I would get to try it for a while first.

So what do you guys think??

Im running panther on my iBook at the moment so maybe an upgrade to Tiger might get rid of those PB blues??? (I want one so bad!!)

Can I just ask;

Who has Tiger?
What are your opinions of it?
Would you recommend that I upgrade to it?

Also:

I am looking for a copy of MS Office for MAC if anyone can help me out? (To use under licence of course)

Moderators: I am not requesting illegal copies of software for which I dont already own and own a licence for.
QUOTE Thanks
Biturbo V12 AMG

cough bit-torrent go download it. cough cough
QUOTE Thanks
AlexN

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRock
Who has Tiger?
What are your opinions of it?
Would you recommend that I upgrade to it?

Also:

I am looking for a copy of MS Office for MAC if anyone can help me out? (To use under licence of course)
I have Tiger, and I love it. I never used other version of MacOS X, so I can't compare with other versions. But I's definitely recommend to upgrade.

I also have MS Office 2004 for Mac. If you are a student, you can get it for only $149 on apple online store.
QUOTE Thanks
danielbruzual

Well, if you think that $149 is a lot to pay for software(I think that way) you should try NeoOffice, it works like a charm.
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Maybe your friend just wants a smaller computer... you know, for airline travel or something... just a thought.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
AlexN

I really think $149 is a good price for such a great software package.
QUOTE Thanks
TTheInfamous1

TTheInfamous1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN
I really think $149 is a good price for such a great software package.
Me too. But i guess to some its a high price.

TJ
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I am going to stop smoking to buy A G5 | Finaly... »