New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Outlook PST file nightmare

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Atari Boy

Atari Boy is on a distinguished road

After this Switched at last, collect tomorrow. thread, I thought I was home and dry. The shop that sold me the Mac would transfer my data from my PC to my Mac - wrong!

They are not able to transfer the Outlook PST file, apparently it's too big (5.3 gb). They have been working on it for three days and tried various programs, all that has happened it that they have damaged my existing Outlook email files.

I have decided to cut and run and I am going to try Apple Cambridge tomorrow to see if they can do a better job.

Has anyone got any suggestions please?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yes.

Little Machines

PS. A search of this forum would have yielded you this thread, which already answered the question.
QUOTE Thanks
Atari Boy

Sorry, I should have said, O2M was one of the bits of software they tried, it got to 70%, then said the file was too big.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Is there any way to break down the Outlook export into separate, smaller PST files

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

If all else fails, you might try iCloud when it becomes available. I used MobileMe to transfer my Outlook files and it worked perfectly

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I guess I don't understand how a business or anyone for that matter would allow an Outlook PST file to grow to 5.3 GB. Even when I was working for the US Government and everything was done from Outlook, the data was archived long before the PST grew too large.

As was suggested by louishen, break the file up into smaller lengths first if possible. You can always concatenate the parts later on if need be.
QUOTE Thanks
Atari Boy

Apple Cambridge have my old machine now, they did not seem phased by the size of the file, time will tell if they can sort it.
I run my own business so it's my own fault the file is so large.
QUOTE Thanks
Atari Boy

Well at last I'm sort of sorted, the PST file was corrupted so after a lot of tooing and frowing I am up and running. I am planning on ditching the email/diary/contacts section of Office in favor of Mac's versions which seem far more stable and better suited to a Mac.
I managed to get my diary and contacts over to the new machine by using my iPhone as a go between.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You will never have the same problem using Mail, as its database is not a huge archive like the monolithic PST file but instead just a collection of the emails themselves, very accessible.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keeping files private - while at apple workshop | buffering problem »