New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switching to Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ElBeardo

ElBeardo is on a distinguished road

Having only had a MacBook Pro for six months with Snow Leopard, I now see that a new OS Lion is being introduced this month. My experience with PC's has always been don't touch a new version of Windows for at least 12 months. What do experienced Mac users do with new versions of the Mac OSX do they change on day 1 or do they leave for sevral months?

ElBeardo
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I'll probably upgrade most of the machines around the house shortly after it's released. The work laptop will have to wait, only to make sure that in-house apps support the new OS.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I have usually waited for a month or two but mainly because of the need to save money for the upgrade. If this is your only system check first to see if "mission" critical applications need to be upgraded.

At this point here is what I am planning to do:
1. Clean install of Snow Leopard - only because I have not done a clean OS install in about three years maybe more. I also have some minor issues to clear up.

2. Clone clean install of Snow Leopard to backup drive. If I don't like Lion or have problems I can revert to Snow Leopard.
3. Install Lion.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I'll probably upgrade shortly after it's release if not the day of. OSX releases don't tend to be nearly as troublesome as Windows releases do.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I agree with member baggss. There may be some apps that will be broken by Lion but if their developers have kept up, new versions that are compatible will be forthcoming. We went through the same sort of thing when Snow Leopard was first released.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I agree with member baggss. There may be some apps that will be broken by Lion but if their developers have kept up, new versions that are compatible will be forthcoming. We went through the same sort of thing when Snow Leopard was first released.
...and Leopard...and Tiger....

QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

I plan to upgrade as soon as it's available (which could be as early as July 6). Lion went Gold Master today, which means the code is locked for the final release.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

kribensis12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 Ghz Duo Core with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Drive

I plan on upgrading as soon as it become available.

To dmccloud:
Goldmaster means the code is locked, but if there are any last minute bug issues or anything of the kind, the release will be postponed and they will work on it.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I always wait, in part to see what kind of problems are reported on forums like this one. It never fails, people have problems with a new upgrade.

But, mostly I wait because I have no good reason to upgrade. I'm still using Leopard. I'm still alive. (T'would be a big story if I was typing from the grave!) Upgrading just to have the latest version is not my way. If what I have works, I'll keep it.
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

@Slydude

You mention cloning the fresh install..

I think thats a good idea; as you said if you don't like it.

I won't be doing a fresh install or anything.. I have only had this iMac since Feb.. but what steps would I need to take in case of (my wife mainly) not liking how Lion operates.

I have heard of it on here before, but I have no idea what its called (the cloning program that is).

I currently have TM backing up to my external seagate you know.. as regular as TM does that stuff. No other back up software in use other than TM.

thanks

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Well OP this is not Windows so do not judge a book by that cover. Having said that Windows 7 was excellent on release.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Let's assume that your current installation is functioning the way that you like. That's just as good a starting place as a fresh install. You need a drive to hold the clone and it must be large enough to hold the contents of your current drive.

For an overview of cloning take a look at ATPM 8.10 - How To: The Cloning of a Mac. Ignore the software references there's newer software available now.

For cloning software I recommend either Carbon Copy Cloner - Features, SuperDuper!, or even Apple's Disk Utility.

It is actually quite easy to use Disk Utility for this by first formatting the new drive with a GUID partition then going to the Restore tab and dragging the current drive in the source field and new drive in the target field. See this guide to DU if needed ATPM 17.05 - How To: Using the Free Disk Utility on Your Mac

After you clone Snow Leopard make sure to boot from it once to make sure things are working properly. There is no worse feeling in the world than needing to boot from a clone to revert to an older OS only to discover the cline isn't working.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

I'm downloading it the day it comes out. I can't wait to install it on both my Macs!

QUOTE Thanks
ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Fo View Post
I'm downloading it the day it comes out. I can't wait to install it on both my Macs!
It is July. What is the hold up Steve?
QUOTE Thanks
ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Well OP this is not Windows so do not judge a book by that cover. Having said that Windows 7 was excellent on release.
Yes to Microsoft's credit, Windows 7 has been awesome. Now if Microsoft could get rid of that noisy bald guy, I would like them even more. He talks too much, don't you think?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting my 1st 2008 mbp tomorrow non unibody | Applications Folder missing from dock. »