Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Mac Pro 3.5 Ghz 6 Core XEON, 1TB SSD,64GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 480GB SSD, 500GB HD, 16GB
    Question Create Subfolders in Documents folder
    I know how to create a folder and move it to where I want, but is there any way to create a folder "in place"? What I mean is I have:
    Folder 1
    a
    b
    >>>>I want the new folder here
    Folder 2
    a
    b
    >>>>but the new folder gets created here and I have to drag it.

I really want it to be inserted where I want. Is there any way to do this?

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    If you mean what I think you mean: Open the folder that you want to create a new folder in. The existing folder is the "enclosing" folder. Create the new folder. It will be created within the folder you have open.

If you're talking about the order, that depends on how you have them sorted.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 3.5 Ghz 6 Core XEON, 1TB SSD,64GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 480GB SSD, 500GB HD, 16GB
    I think that is what I am doing. I select Folder 1 so it is highlighted in blue. I click Add New Folder in Finder (A menu item I added to the standard Finder Menu Bar). The folder gets created at some random place, NOT in Folder 1. I understand that within Folder 1 it would get created at a position determined by the sort order.

I will try a few more times to make sure i am not totally confused.

Specs:
    I just tried again. The finder is in list view, and no matter where i am positioned in Folder 1, the new folder is created somewhere else. This is really frustrating.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Stan View Post
    I just tried again. The finder is in list view, and no matter where i am positioned in Folder 1, the new folder is created somewhere else. This is really frustrating.
    You need be physically inside the folder that you want to create a folder within a folder.

Did that make sense? >_<"
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    As Crimson says, don't just highlight the folder, OPEN it and then create the new folder. Folders are always created in the folder you have open, not any highlighted folder or location.

Specs:
    I have tried that as well, which fails the same way. But this is what I just realized - I am in list view and it WILL NOT work for me. If I use the icon view, it creates a folder just fine where I expect it.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Works just fine in List View for me (OS 10.5.8)

Create a new folder without any folder highlighted. If you do not have a Finder Window open, the new folder will be created on your Desktop. If you do have a Finder Window open, it will create the new folder in that Window. That is, an open folder becomes a Window. Windows may have other folders within them, and those folders may have other folders within them as well, and so on.

In List View, folders have little triangles next to them. To reveal what is in a folder, click that triangle. This is NOT the same thing as opening that folder! To open a folder, double click the folder. See the difference?

Specs:
    Smile
    I see what you mean - finally. I understand now that an expanded folder in list view is not the same thing as an opened folder.

To be honest, the operation of the finder seems quite primitive compared to the Windows Explorer I am more familiar with. Your explanation makes this part of its operation clear. Thank you.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Download the free muCommander from here. It gives you a dual panel file display just like the old Norton Commander from DOS and Windows. Create folders, sub folders, rename, move, etc, all done easily and intuitively.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    No, don't do that. You're not in Windows anymore. Learn the Mac, and I **promise** that you will find out that there's a lot of power there you're just not tapping into because you don't know about it yet.

For example: shift-command-n is a more efficient method to create folders, because your hands already being on the keyboard means you can quickly NAME the folder you just created. Also, when in List view and you create a new folder, it doesn't go "somewhere else" -- it goes to where a folder called "Untitled" SHOULD go -- in alphabetical order under "U".

Specs:
    Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5
    Thanks Chas for always reminding us (certainly me included) that the best way to get good at the Mac OS is to actually embrace it -- to have faith that the millions of man-hours that Apple invested in it, will pay dividends if you open your mind to it.

Specs:
    iMac: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini2, iPhone5s
    An even easier way to add new folder. Right click on a blank area of the Finder window Toolbar and select Customise Toolbar. There you can add an icon 'New Folder'. Now when you are in a folder you can just click the icon.
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Specs:
    chas_m -
    I appreciate everyone's help and I understand how to add folders now. I know I was doing it wrong. BUT, for someone coming from a Windows background ( a switcher :-) ), if I am in finder in list view and have Folder X expanded and have an item below that folder highlighted and choose New Folder, I expect the new folder to be created within Folder X. This does not happen. The new folder pops up somewhere else outside of Folder X. That was the source of my confusion.

Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    Bob, I work both OSes every day. I have all OSX at home, but my company uses Windows products. When I got the OSX stuff for home, the learning curve was horrendous, and it was made harder by my work environment staying in Windows. But now, after a couple of years under my belt, I have found myself more frustrated at work because I expect the OSX reactions, not Windows! So my advice is to hang in there, the Windows stuff will fade and you will begin to "think" in OSX terms.

Thread Information