New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook pro 13": i7 (4GB RAM) or i5 (8GB RAM)?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MACpro13

MACpro13 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

It is the first time I buy an Apple machine and I am interested in Macbook Pro 13". Since I have a limited budget, I was wondering if I should get a Macbook Pro 13", Intel core i7 with 4GB RAM or a Macbook Pro 13", Intel core i5 with an upgrade to 8GB RAM? Which one is a faster machine? Thanks!

Cheers,

Kent
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

The i7 should be computationally faster. It depends on what you are going to be using the machine for. If you are doing compute intensive tasks like encoding movies or music, and they aren't very big, then the faster processor is the way to go. If you have to deal with large files, virtual machines, a lot of stuff running, then it would be better to spend your money on RAM. Just depends on what you are doing. If you are doing Office, email and web browsing then either is more than adequate.
QUOTE Thanks
MACpro13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
The i7 should be computationally faster. It depends on what you are going to be using the machine for. If you are doing compute intensive tasks like encoding movies or music, and they aren't very big, then the faster processor is the way to go. If you have to deal with large files, virtual machines, a lot of stuff running, then it would be better to spend your money on RAM. Just depends on what you are doing. If you are doing Office, email and web browsing then either is more than adequate.
Hi Ivan, thanks a lot! That makes a lot of sense! One more question though. If I have to run Windows on my MAC (some programs from work are for PC only), I should get an i5 with 8GB of RAM, is that correct?
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Again - it depends on what you are doing. If you only ever run bootcamp - then I would consider the faster machine. If you are planning to run VMWare/Parallels/Virtual Box and the like - then I would consider more RAM. Honestly - I was able to run 1 virtual machine with 1 GB of RAM on 4GB of actual RAM. I just wanted to run more than 1 virtual machine (1 linux, 1 windows) with 2 GB of RAM each - so I upgraded the RAM myself. Which is another point - you should shop around for 3rd party RAM - like from OWC - it may be cheaper than having Apple install it for you.
Apple Mac Memory Upgrade Options: Easy Buying Guide, Free Install Videos. Memory backed by Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty.
I got 8GB for ~$170 - where Apple was asking $400 for my particular machine.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

It's much easier and cheaper to upgrade RAM than speed and processor. The faster i7 processor will be a better use of the money, and RAM can be upgraded at any time in the future, and done much more cheaply than ordering the RAM from Apple. OtherWorld Computing's price for an 8GB kit is less than $100, while Apple is currently charging $200.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Look at it this way. You can upgrade the RAM at any time. You can never upgrade the CPU.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
MACpro13

Thanks everyone! I will buy an i7 today!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cleaning out my MacBook Pro? | Slowly sinking into ...uggh, what is this stufff!! »