New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apple Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bigandbald

bigandbald is on a distinguished road

Hello

I have owned a iphone for numerous years it took me ages to take the plunge
likewise it was the same for the ipad2 . I am now the proud owner of a Ipad2
which is truly awesome. I visited the main apple store in Milton Keynes and have now decided to start saving for a home computer - The one that has caught my eye is the all in one with the 27'' inch Screen priced around 1300.00.*2.7 GHZ Quad
What I did not want to do however is purchase this particular all in one if it was due to be replaced - I already know that there is a new operating system coming out called lion.
The other quandary is this I use XL plus word at work *do apple do an equivalent that will allow me to open my files.
And last of all on my current windows operated laptop I am currently running
norton 360 - One of my friends has informed me that you don't have to install a fire it comes with its own defence - how good is this?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

IMHO there is no need for AV on a Mac and your router/modem should have a firewall
turned on or activated also if wireless it should be WPA2.

You could try Open Office and see how well that works for you and its free.
Another option is Office for Mac.
If you think you will need more things from Windows theres Bootcamp to dual boot
or Parallels,Fusion and Virtual Box if you want to run it in a virtual enviroment.
QUOTE Thanks
bigandbald

bigandbald is on a distinguished road

Appreciate your help b@b
QUOTE Thanks
HelpdeskRules

HelpdeskRules is on a distinguished road

All computers, in fact most electrical items from Washing Machines to Toasters are constantly being replaced with new models so if you wait and see if a new model comes out all you'll end up doing is waiting as it's a never ending process as new advances in technology and design come in to play.

The best thing to do is see when the particular model you are interested in first came on the market to see if it is recent or not.

Regardless of when you buy it, you wont be disappointed with the experience of owning a Mac computer!!

My Personal WebSite: www.helpdeskrules.co.uk - Follow me on Twitter: @helpdeskrules
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The iMacs were refreshed last month, so now is an ideal time to buy a new iMac. I would not expect a *significant* change in iMacs now for quite some time.

You may wish to wait until Lion is out to save yourself $30/give yourself a little more time to save, but other than that there's no reason not to buy now.

If you use Excel and Word a lot, I'd recommend buying Microsoft Office for Mac for maximum compatibility. The OpenOffice suggestion is good too, but be prepared for some changes -- it's close but it's not quite the same thing (should be very compatible however).

You do not need any anti-virus or anti-malware or firewall software on your computer. Apple is already providing the anti-malware (though of course common sense helps), there aren't any viruses, and your router or modem already has a far superior hardware firewall.
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

Quote:
You may wish to wait until Lion is out to save yourself $30/give yourself a little more time to save, but other than that there's no reason not to buy now.
I can't confirm this, but I do believe that anyone who buys a Mac between now and when Lion ships next month can get it for free. So, even the upgrade shouldn't be any issue for prospective Mac buyers right now.

Can someone verify if this is correct?

QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Fo View Post
I can't confirm this, but I do believe that anyone who buys a Mac between now and when Lion ships next month can get it for free. So, even the upgrade shouldn't be any issue for prospective Mac buyers right now.

Can someone verify if this is correct?
Apple - OS X Lion - Get up to date.

Anyone who purchases a new Mac on or after June 6 qualifies for a free upgrade to Lion.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

I use Office for Mac as my business is all Windows PC. It's very inexpensive but does not have Access or Outlook. Our company uses Google mail so it's not a big deal that Outlook is not there. I rarely use Access so it was not a big deal either. Heavy excel user and word and they work very good.

I only wish Quicken for Mac was closer to the Windows version.

Regards,

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Outlook (or at least something CALLED Outlook) is indeed included in the Home & Business Mac version of Office (2011). It's not included in the Home & Student version.

I have to say, Microsoft strikes again in terms of deliberately causing consumer confusion. Putting "home" in both of them is just plain dumb.
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

Thanks chas_m you are indeed correct. I don't use it (bad experiences in the past) and so completely forgot about it. (Didn't bother to look either.)

Thanks for setting the record straight. As a side note the Home & Business Mac version also includes Powerpoint.

Regards,

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
SeanL

SeanL is on a distinguished road

I thought I read that the iMacs were having some wireless issues connecting on the n band. Any truth to that?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

[dupe]
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Not that I'm aware of. We haven't seen any reports of such behaviour (that I've noticed) on this forum, and I'm sure I would have seen it if it were a real issue.
QUOTE Thanks
SeanL

SeanL is on a distinguished road

Hmm I thought I read that on here somewhere. It may have been in the reviews on the apple site then. Thx
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL View Post
Hmm I thought I read that on here somewhere. It may have been in the reviews on the apple site then. Thx
I have 4 Macs (2 IMacs), and they connect to my N network just fine
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Emptying Trash | Just Released MBA »