New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to get rid of possible malware?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tonykgs2000

tonykgs2000 is on a distinguished road

Hi

Last week I allowed a friend of mine (a PC user!) to search for a movie to stream using my MacBook Pro. I'm concerned she might have inadvertently downloaded some malware onto my machine. So far, I've noticed only one small glitch - that I can't download any files attached to emails in my Safari.

How can I check my machine and get rid of anything that shouldn't be there?

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
hw96Lgb

hw96Lgb will become famous soon enough

There is no malware for mac, apart mac defender and I doubt you have it.

If you are still worried download ClamXav and run a full check.

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever.
-Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Father of Modern Rocketry
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Thread moved as it does not belong in the "Lounge".

Please read our Sticky notice regarding viruses and malware: LINK
QUOTE Thanks
chalegut

chalegut is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook

That's not possible so don't worry. But download iAntiVirus and make a normal scan for you to be sure their is nothing wrong
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Don't give your password out and create a guest account for other people when they use your Mac and eliminate any worry. I may not understand what you are trying to
do but are you saying that it will not let you Save As or use Quick Look?
QUOTE Thanks
tonykgs2000

thanks all for your helpful feedback. i downloaded the clam software and it caught nothing.

the one quirk i've noticed is that when i open an email that contains an attachment, it says "view' or "download" next to the attachment. if i click on download, nothing happens.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

THAT is meant to be evidence that you think the Mac has malware on it???

Um, no.

On my copy of Mail, emails with attachments have the buttons "Save" and "Quick Look" next to them. The only time I ever see a "Download" button is when I'm checking on my mobile device, since attachments are not fully downloaded on mobile devices to save bandwidth.

Clicking on the "Save" brings up a "Save all" (if there is more than one attachment) along with a list of each attachment (for individual saving) and an option to add photos to iPhoto.
QUOTE Thanks
tonykgs2000

I use Safari mail and it's there where I have the option of "view" or "download" for attachments. In the past I could click on download, and it would open a new dialogue box indicating that downloading had begun. Now, nothing happens when I click download. No big deal. As long as I'm not infected with anything.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

What's likely happened there is that the mini-window that indicated downloads progress is probably BEHIND the main window. Happens all the time. You can check this by going to the Window menu in Safari and selecting the Downloads window, it will pop back up front and then you can move it aside so it's not behind the main window anymore.

In all likelihood, you actually HAVE been downloading things when you press the download button. Your downloads folder (in your home folder) is likely to now have a ton of stuff in it titled "THING-1", "THING-2" etc for the multiple times you pressed the download button and "it didn't work."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creating an Automator Workflow? | iphone app data from pc --> mac »