New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Such a hard decision....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

davyvfr

davyvfr is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2012; Intel i5, Intel HD 4000, 500gb HDD, 13'' screen

I have limited my Mac options down to two options. I do like to play games and will need it for school. I could easily get by with the white MacBook, but I've convinced my parents otherwise since I like to relax and play a few FPS's during my free time. I don't have a music library so the 16GB Ipad is considerable. Here are the options:

Option 1
MacBook Pro 15"
2.3GHZ i7 (2820QM)
8GB RAM
500GB Seagate HDD
Hi Res AntiGlare Screen
AMD Radeon 6750M

$2539

Option 2
MacBook Pro 15"
2.2GHZ i7(2720QM)
4GB RAM
500GB Seagate HDD
Glossy Screen
AMD Radeon 6750M

Ipad 16GB

$2498

It really comes down to this, is an Ipad and a MacBook necessary? And if I don't get one, am I really missing out on anything as a college student?

Onlive Gaming is the Future!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

An iPad CAN BE a great companion to a student, and is a pretty awesome game machine as well. You can always add more RAM later, so my vote is with Option 2.
QUOTE Thanks
davyvfr

Thats probably true, but I really hope it isn't one of those things that are, "been there, done that". Its way to expensive to take home and try for a month and if I don't like it, I can't return it.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you're that unfamiliar with iPads, I'll revise my suggestion to option 1. You can always get an iPad later.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Actually, I'm not sure what's wrong with the MB you already have listed in your specs for heading off to college.

If that one is not really yours to take with you, then let's have some consideration of your parents money - unless they're growing it on trees in the back yard.

Sorry, I'd have to go with option 3, the low end 15", without an iPad.

Price is now $1699 with student discount.

Add a copy of Windows 7 to it and you're set to go.

And still way more computer than what is required for anything you'll need for school.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
davyvfr

Option three might work, but I am paying for most of it. I pitch in $1800 and they pay $700. They offered to pay up to $1000 in their money plus my college and I don't have to work. Its nice what straight A's gets you.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyvfr View Post
Option three might work, but I am paying for most of it. I pitch in $1800 and they pay $700. They offered to pay up to $1000 in their money plus my college and I don't have to work. Its nice what straight A's gets you.
Like "bobtomay" mentioned...the MacBook you have listed in your specs/profile is a pretty decent computer. You could save everyone $$$ all-around...and just stick with what you have.

- Nick

p.s. Actually...looking at your specs/profile...there is no such thing as a MacBook with an i7 cpu (MacBooks only have a Core 2 Duo cpu thus far)...so you must be talking about a newer MacBook Pro. In which case...that computer would be at most just a little over 1 year-old. Seems sort of early to be upgrading already...especially on a college students budget!

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
davyvfr

whoops, sorry for the confusion. I DO NOT own a MacBook. I put those specs assuming I was going to get that one. But, I saw the crappy gaming performance and said no. I raised my budget to $2598 from $2000. It gives me more freedom and extra legroom.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyvfr View Post
whoops, sorry for the confusion. I DO NOT own a MacBook. I put those specs assuming I was going to get that one. But, I saw the crappy gaming performance and said no. I raised my budget to $2598 from $2000. It gives me more freedom and extra legroom.
I see...makes more sense.

My vote is to get the most "bang for your buck"...without over-spending.

My choice would be to get "Option #2" (but no iPad)...and upgrade the HD & ram later on as you see necessary. You could get the "anti-glare" screen as well...if that's a big deal.

Nothing wrong with the iPad. I just figure you could probably stand to save some money...and getting an iPad at the same time as a nice new MacBook Pro ...might be "over the top" for a college student on a budget.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Young Spade

Young Spade is on a distinguished road

I'd definitely go for2 seeing that I wouldn't need 8 gigs of RAM and the higher resolution screen. I also wouldn't mind the glossy screen as I hardly ever (I haven't) gone outside during my studies and used a computer outdoors. Of course that varies on the setup of your university and the weather of course. Florida = blazing sun.

Plus upgrades that bring a high end computer to the bleeding edge aren't "worth" as much as an iPad 2, IMO. Especially when you're a student (unless you're doing editing or design or something like that).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transferring to new Mac(s) with Time machine? | New MBP Owner »