New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Confused about what to do after downloading a file.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

Hi guys,
This is probably so obvious that even the newest switcher knows it but I can't find any info about it anywhere. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.
Anyway, here goes. I get lots of files sent to me of documents, images etc from family, friends and workmates. They come to me as attachments to e-mails and, being safety conscious, I always run ClamXav over the file in Finder but, before that, a small screen shows up with the file title and a progress bar as the file is downloaded. The whole top line of this little screen is highlighted. When the download is complete I do a Right Click on the finished download and then click on "Show in Finder"
This is where I need to be sure that you understand which little screen I'm banging on about. It's the screen with the progress bar and NOT the Finder screen.
OK, once the file is viewable in Finder, is it safe to delete it from the screen with the progress bar?
Cheers,
Steve

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Are you downloading those in a browser and the "screen" or rather window you are talking about is the "Downloads" window? In that case you'd be able to clear that list at any time and it won't affect the files. It's just a list of everything downloaded and does't represent your actual files. Those are usually safely in your downloads folder.

Hope that helps!

QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

I take it that you're not using Apple's Mail? For attachments in my emails, I have two buttons; one to view the attachment in Quicklook, and one to Save the attachment to Mail's Download folder. I don't get any progress bars.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Hi,

If as dekan said you are referring to the downloads window re my screen shot,

then the file will be saved and in my case always the downloads folder.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you are referencing the download window pictured above (which it sounds like you are), you are free to clear that window when a download is done. Clearing it has no bearing whatsoever on the files themselves.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

oldscribe .... That image that you posted is like the one I mean except that ,ine has about 150 lines of files on it.
All the downloaded files are in Finder and also on CDs so I'll try deleting then from the window that looks like the one the oldscribe posted and see what happens, if anything, to the actual files themselves.
Thanks guys

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

There's a preference in Safari that will clear the download window automatically once the download has successfully completed.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Hi chas_m and 5tevie,

Should have mentioned that in my previous post. Pic is better than words sometimes,

shows my settings.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Zinio V3 Reader | AppHBN3Listener--What is this Process? »