New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

cannot play all my Windose videos on my Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timmy_toad

timmy_toad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" + iPhone 5S

Hi all, i have seen the answer to my question somewhere in a Forum but where.

I remember reading somewhere a chap wrote a bootifull article for helping switchers where he told of three "Free Apps" which will be all i need to play every Video format under the SUN.

Does anybody else know what they are or did i dream it ?

tim
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

Look at the sticky at the top of this forum - Sage Advice for the new Mac Switcher
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

If you install Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime® components and Flip4Mac you should have no problem playing them in Quicktime then.

and this might be the thread you are thinking about ?? A Switchers guide to recommended free Apps to download to your new Mac

VLC would be one. A must have.

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
timmy_toad

thanks a million lads, both of you are spot on, chas_m certainly sounds very familiar, thanks, i'll be well away now.

tim
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

I have some old AVIs that won't play in Quicktime or VLC or just about anything else modern, and after much searching around, I ended up downloading MPlayer. It opens almost everything by default, and the site has a large variety of extra codecs available on it as well.

In the interest of full disclosure, I find MPlayer to be significantly less refined than QT, and I use it only to consume content that I can't open with something else.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what Windose is.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
timmy_toad

thanks lads, all very useful, i have now confirmed that nothing will play what is on the DVD, the folders are virtually empty of any useful content so i will now erase it and use it again for something else

tim
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
It's like Windoze, but slightly more responsive.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone5s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
It's like Windoze, but slightly more responsive.
Nice one!

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
timmy_toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Dam, hows about Win-Ders then ? ..... LOL.

tim
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy_toad View Post
Dam, hows about Win-Ders then ?
That's the version specially made to help hurr all your durr and durp-a-hurp.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I see you are fluent in durpish.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« switching to new mac mini | can't open the camera »