New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OS X basics and maintenance

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ghettochild

ghettochild is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

hey ya'll,

this isn't my 1st post, but the 1st one on my new mac. been using it for a couple of days now and I really dig it.

I have some basics questions...

1. generally, always put the iMac to sleep rather than shutting it down? I've read somewhere that the OS performs certain maintenance tasks during the night, which only works if the mac is either on or in sleep mode. then again I've read somehwere else that the maintenance stuff only runs when the mac is on, not in sleep mode. :confused:

2. as far as maintenance apps are concerned, which one(s) would you guys recommend? macjanitor, onyx, applejack, cocktail....?

3. safari: any chance to turn off the automatic download feature. I prefer being asked if and where I want to DL/save things!

thanks in advance for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

1) OS X will only perform them if the mac is on and running - but with one of the apps you mentioned in 2) you can start them any time.

2) I like onyX as it also can enable lots of hidden features of OS X... Macjanitor is the most straightforward I've tried. Cocktail is shareware whilst the other 2 are free.

3) You can set the download location to something else, but I don't think you can get it to ask you where to download something to normally.
There might however be add-ons that let you do this. ('Saft' is one - not sure if it can do this though)

Woohoo 1,900 posts!!!!! GO ME!
QUOTE Thanks
ghettochild

ghettochild is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

thanks for the reply!

so, generally, what's the best way to operate the mac? only shut it down rarely/only restart every so often/etc.?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well shut it down as often as you want really... what's important to remember is that you won't notice a slowdown if you don't restart...

So either way it doesn't really affect performance.
I just let it sleep at night and manually run OnyX every so often.
Also repair disk permissions occasionaly: Apps>utilities>disk utility>repair disk permissions.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme/Express | Eizo LCD not crisp anymore with Minimac (it was) »