New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Which Power Mac G4?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JSand

Sorry for a which mac should I get thread. I read the Sticky on this, and it didn't help much. I have been looking at a Mac for a while, and after talking to a friend who's a Mac user, I have decided to look at a Power Mac G4. I can't really afford any of the most rescent Macs except for maybe a mac mini, and I don't want that. My budget is around a thousand dollars maybe more, but I want to stay as far under that as possible, without sacrificing major performance. I've been looking at Power Mac G4s on ebay. I was looking at ones that are dual 800mhz and dual 1ghz. Mainly I will use this for web browsing, e-mail, web design, graphics, maybe some video editing. I'm going off to college in 3 years, so I would want this to last until then hopefully. What model would you recommend that can run tiger and other recent software without any problems? BTW I'll get at least 1 gig of ram to put in it, and an ati 9700 pro that I have sitting around.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSand
an ati 9700 pro that I have sitting around.

PC Video cards don't work in Apple systems.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

The 800mhz will be fine for email web browsing ect. Depending on how "heavy" of video editing you plan on doing then I would get the 1Ghz.

QUOTE Thanks
zap2

look at a refub iMac G5 under apple sales link

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....9.1.5.1.0.5.0
or a G5 PowerMac 1299( a little high but worth it)
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....5.1.5.1.0.5.0
QUOTE Thanks
UncSki1218

yeah..i would get a refurb or used(ebay) imac g5 and upgrade it yourself. its incredibly easy to add ram as i did to my new one. i use mine for the same things and its perfect.
QUOTE Thanks
JSand

I have looked at imac g5s. I want a tower though for the expandability, so I don't think I'll get an imac. I want the pci slots that a power mac has.

Would a dual 1 ghz g4 with 1 or 1.5 gigs of ram suit my needs for some basic video editing and graphics work?

As for the refurbed g5 with a single 1.8 ghz processor. That could be an option maybe. How would that compare to a dual 1ghz g4?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

really depends on the video editing you are going to be doing how powerful of a proccessor you are going to need.

iMovie - You can get the mini and it will be fine
Final Cut Express - the 800mhz powermac g4 should be fine
Final Cut Pro 3/4 - Dual 1.0 /1.2 ghz power mac G4 or a iMac G5
Final Cut Pro 4.5/5 - low end Dual Proccessor G5 for basic.. higher end if you are going to be using motion and dvd studio pro and soundtrack along with final cut.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
JSand

Well I made my decision and bought a dual 1.25 ghz 1.5 gigs of ram power mac g4 mdd. I can't wait to get it.

Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

congrats on your purchase your going to love it.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dilema | RSS Feeds Question »