New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mail Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

I have purchased a new iMac for my wife's birthday. This is the first Mac for either of us and I want to make the transition as painless as possible. She uses Thunderbird for her mail program and I know it is available for the Mac, but I would like to try the native mail program. She will have two mail accounts. Is it possible to have incoming mail from both accounts appear in a common inbox or a single smart folder? Any advice appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Yes. Mail can easily handle the situation you describe. I currently have it checking four accounts. If I click Inbox it shows me mail from all four accounts. In my case I expanded the view to see each account's mailbox but you don't have to do that.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

When you have more than one email account, Mail's default behaviour is to show a single inbox with a "little triangle" next to it. Clicking on it make it point downward and shows the separate inboxes for each account.
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

Thanks - she will be pleased!
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Just as an aside, if she still wants to use Thunderbird on the Mac, you can transfer all her mail from Windows to Mac by doing the following -

1. Install Thunderbird on your Mac
2. Run Thunderbird (so it creates the folder <user>/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles (just cancel setting up an email address)
3. It has now registered the program, so delete the profile it just created.
4. Replace it with the entire Profile folder directly from your PC.

I hope she enjoys the new computer!
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Just as an aside, if she still wants to use Thunderbird on the Mac, you can transfer all her mail from Windows to Mac by doing the following -
And if you were using the NNTP news reader included with Thunderbird in Windows, you can do the same as described above by member EvenStranger to transfer the account to the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie here hello everyone! | Best place to buy low price/cheap Macs? »