New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

shift-select files in finder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

manyways

im quite new to the macworld, and a heavy PC user

in windows explorer when i select multiple files, i hold the shift key and select files as needed... shift + down selects more files, shift + up deselects the most recent file

however in finder,

shift + down selects the next file, shift + up selects the file above my current selection and so on

how do i de-select files using the keyboard?

hope i made this scenario understandable
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i havent quite figured it out either. but if you command click, that should de-select or select files as you want. kind of like ctrl + click in windows

QUOTE Thanks
Merlinblack

you can cmd click, that is the only way I've found so far

I used the shift key a lot in windows as well.
QUOTE Thanks
UncSki1218

if in finder...just click and drag the pointer over all of the files u want (like u would on the desktop just fooling around). that will select all of the files in the box.
QUOTE Thanks
eddified

eddified is on a distinguished road

Switch to list view (command+2) and then you can use shift+click or shift+arrow keys and they will work like in windows when in this view

(yes, i know this thread is very old, but I am a new switcher and I just searched for this so I imagine other switchers are looking for this info too.)
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddified View Post
(yes, i know this thread is very old, but I am a new switcher and I just searched for this so I imagine other switchers are looking for this info too.)
It gets asked frequently. I'm surprised you didn't find a newer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncSki1218 View Post
if in finder...just click and drag the pointer over all of the files u want (like u would on the desktop just fooling around). that will select all of the files in the box.
Well, not quite, and that's most useful in Icon View. They don't have to be completely in the box, but the edge of the box has to touch the icons you want. Then, shift-click will select additional ones. You can also used Cmd-click de-select in Icon View.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is Apple becoming delusional? | Mac-Mini »