New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do I get a new iMac...?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jellytoes

Jellytoes is on a distinguished road

I tried to buy a new 27"iMac via the website but soon discovered that Apple refuses to deliver to my safe, secure, inside the US Post Office signature required PO Box ....little Tiffany informed me that the US Post Office is very unreliable but the UPS man can leave it safely in the hands of one of my 2000+ neighbors here at the apartment complex

So off I went to the local Apple store where they informed me they could only sell what they had in stock which was zero 27' iMacs w/16GB and a SS-drive....AND, no!...they could not order one on line for delivery to the store - positively against Apple Regulations (yes they said "regulations")

Sooooo....does anyone have a "secret-tip" for getting a new iMac via US Mail or local pickup? There must be a way...I can't be the only person on the planet with this problem?

Thanks,
Jellytoes
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I ordered my 27" iMac online and it was shipped through FedEx with signature required upon delivery. Since I'm not around the house when they deliver, after they failed the first delivery, I had them hold the package at the local center and picked it up.

I don't believe Apple ships with USPS, either FedEx or UPS. So ship it you to your home address, not a PO box and you'll have much better luck..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

You can generally schedule with FedEX to pick up at their location. As I recall, you can simply select the option once you have the tracking information.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Jellytoes

So you drove to the FEDEX store to pick it up? Did you get a shipping-charge rebate?

And you probably don't have to drive thru the heart of ultimate darkness to get there like I do - with an average 2.3 murders daily I have not been "downtown" in over ten-years.

But thanks for the nice reply...
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellytoes View Post
So you drove to the FEDEX store to pick it up? Did you get a shipping-charge rebate?

And you probably don't have to drive thru the heart of ultimate darkness to get there like I do - with an average 2.3 murders daily I have not been "downtown" in over ten-years.

But thanks for the nice reply...
Over 700 murders a year...?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
If you want a customized Mac, either arrange with a local Apple dealer to have one sent to their store for you to pickup, or give them your home address. Unless you actually LIVE in the PO Box in the post office ...
The OP stated that Apple will not order a customized unit and have it sent to the store. Also the OP stated that he lives in an apartment complex. If you've ever lived in an apartment complex you know that the mail boxes are even smaller than one rented at the post office. And you certainly don't want UPS dropping off your new iMac at one of the neighbor's. FedEx would be better.

Quote:
Have you considered moving to a country with real gun laws? On the island where I live, 2.3 murders is around the YEARLY average.
Totally uncalled for.
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

What about having it delivered to your place of business?

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Totally uncalled for.[/QUOTE]

I don't see humour being forbidden in the community guidelines??
QUOTE Thanks
Jellytoes

TO: chscag...Thanks, I think I found the way. I'll have it shipped to my Mother and she can re-ship via US Priority mail. Only a few dollars more but hey(!) an iMac is worth it!! Thanks to all.
QUOTE Thanks
Jellytoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellytoes View Post
TO: chscag...Thanks, I think I found the way. I'll have it shipped to my Mother and she can re-ship via US Priority mail. Only a few dollars more but hey(!) an iMac is worth it!! Thanks to all.
Found Another Delivery Option - B&H Photo...

Not only will they deliver to my PO Box but will also special order a new iMac configuration...in fact they have a wide range of upscale configs in stock! Check them out if you have unique delivery concerns or requirements.

Thanks All
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
Totally uncalled for.
I don't see humour being forbidden in the community guidelines??[/QUOTE]

It's not. However, that wasn't humor; it was borderline insulting which is prohibited by our guidelines. Let's stick to the topics on hand and not comment on "where I live is better than where you live".

Thanks for your comments.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by codda View Post
Over 700 murders a year...?
heh, I lived in Baltimore/DC in the late 80's and early 90's. Back when the news stopped counting the murders. It really wouldn't bother me even then, generally (in my experience in that regard) the people involved in those were involved directly in enterprises that exposed them to those risks.

Either way, it was an option

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with Mail | Faster HD in older MacBook Pro? »