New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Newbie - Myths surrounding antivirus etc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Louiseg

Louiseg is on a distinguished road

Hi, just purchased imac 21.5, as a previous windows user for around 10years i was wanting to know if the whole not needing an antivirus with mac is true.
I will say sorry in advance if this is an over talked about topic but coming from windows where i had kaspersky pure internet security running constant i find it hard to just switch on imac and surf net, log on to my digital banking etc without the added backup..makes me really nervous
i have switched firewall to stealth mode and my wireless router is fire-walled as well.
Plus any advice for downloading etc, i was using winmx on my pc but i take it this will not work on imac.
Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if this sounds totally dumb!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Read this:

Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

QUOTE Thanks
Louiseg

Louiseg is on a distinguished road

Thanks, will read it asap
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I run sophos on my mac, and I also have iantivirus on the other. Sophos is for mac and pc threats, and Iantivirus is for mac threats only.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

If you feel you must run AV software, look at ClamXAV which is freeware. That company also released ClamWin for Windows, and if you are going to run Windows on your Mac, make sure you use AV software on that partition.

Having said that you will find most long term Mac users do not run any AV as it tends to bloat and slow your computer.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Also, you should keep your software firewall off. The router firewall is enough.
The reason the software firewall is off by default is because any modern modem/router has a firewall.
Having the software firewall on can interfere with the functioning of the other firewall.
You can go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 to test your firewall.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Having the software firewall on can interfere with the functioning of the other firewall.

Couldn't have said it better myself, and this bit bears repeating.

Congrats to the OP for finally getting out of the fear and paranoia trap that is Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
Booch_21

Booch_21 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.93Ghz i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitjetta View Post
I run sophos on my mac...
I switched in September. I run Sophos as well. I see no significant changes in how the computer runs. Having something is better than nothing and you won't notice its there.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch_21 View Post
I switched in September. I run Sophos as well. I see no significant changes in how the computer runs. Having something is better than nothing and you won't notice its there.
Yeah, a lot of switchers seem to like continuing to give their money to those AV companies.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Also, you should keep your software firewall off. The router firewall is enough.
The reason the software firewall is off by default is because any modern modem/router has a firewall.
You can go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 to test your firewall.
Okay, I ran the tests and it showed that ports 139, 445 and 548 were open. Everything else looked good.
What, if anything, should I do next?

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Need to check your router's firewall settings to start with.

Then if still not fixed the port forwarding sections.

There are other places where you can manually punch a hole in the firewall to enable certain functions also.
But I'd say port 139 at least should not be open at all.

If you're running any of the modern D-Link it would be under the Advanced tab.
If you're as unsure about most router settings as I am, I'd probably just do a reset to factory on the router and then reset up my wifi network again.

And of course, how old is the router and it does have a firewall?
Default settings on any modern router firewall should come back in complete stealth on those tests.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Need to check your router's firewall settings to start with.

Then if still not fixed the port forwarding sections.

There are other places where you can punch a hole in the firewall to enable certain functions also.
But I'd say port 139 at least should not be open at all.

If you're running any of the modern D-Link it would be under the Advanced tab.
If you're as unsure about most router settings as I am, I'd probably just do a reset to factory on the router and then reset up my wifi network again.

And of course, how old is the router and it does have a firewall?
Running a Time Capsule about 3 years old.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Same age as my TC.
Have never used the firewall in my TC, nor have I ever allowed it as the DHCP server here.

After looking - Don't even see any firewall settings at all in the Airport Utility.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Same age as my TC.
Have never used the firewall in my TC, nor have I ever allowed it as the DHCP server here.

After looking - Don't even see any firewall settings at all in the Airport Utility.
Same thing for me. Went looking for settings and have no idea how to close the ports I listed.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Razor: You may want to have a read of this thread at Apple's support forums. There is a link there to an alternative opinion. They can say what they want, but if it were me and I didn't already have one, I'd be getting a router with a real firewall.

And yes I know, as one that is still pretty vehemently against installing AV software on my own personal Macs, this may sound like just the opposite. And although the average home user is probably pretty safe as they say, I'll take a NAT firewall tyvm. I think this is the main reason dtravis does not like the AEs.

We do have several members here with a whale of a lot more knowledge about this stuff than I have. Perhaps one of them will pop in on this.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dead Hyperlinks in shared PDF files | I blame myself. Sorry »