Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD
    I blame myself. Sorry
    I've been a Mac user for a couple of months now. Absolutely, very happy with my MBP!

But it figures, I am one of the many who have "switched" lately. I'm sure I was the straw that broke the camel's back. Enough of us have switch to the Mac and it has become a "target". Mac Defender has struck and I blame myself. If I hadn't switched...

I'd like to apologize for causing you people so much trouble.

But ya know what, I"M NOT SWITCHING BACK!!

Monty

PS: No I didn't get sucked in by Mac Defender. Coming from the Windows world I am very careful about installing questionable software.
    15" MacBook Pro

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    boot into safe mode and delete it from startup and applications if you havent already.

and apply the security update from apple.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Since MacDefender isn't a virus, you and the rest of the switchers are not to blame.

Malware has been on all platforms, including ours, since day one. The MacDefender one has been marginally more sophisticated and thus marginally more successful than previous attempts, but in the end it's just another variation on the "give me your credit card number because I'm masquerading as something other than what I am" scam.

MD is a good reminder that although we continue to be safe from viruses, we are no more immune to "scareware" than any other platform, since we have the same vulnerability as them: human operators.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I think what surprises me most about the success of MacDefender is the very fact that most Mac users don't run AV software. I mean, in the Windows world, these scan fake AV products usually mimic the user interface of the well-known, commonly used AV products out there. So, it's easy to mistake them for a legit program that you already have installed on your system.

On the Mac, this is kind of an out-of-the-blue, software you've never seen before, should strike you as extremely odd, scenario. I mean, when was the last time you downloaded a program that presented itself to you out of the blue, rather than you having to seek it out?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    @ OP ROTFL

Go forth and enjoy your Mac but lets make sure you don't cause any more trouble shall we.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

If Nigerian princes tell you about their hidden stash of gold, don't listen to them.
    The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever.
    -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Father of Modern Rocketry

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
    Those Nigerian 419ers are a pain in the proverbial.

Specs:
    2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
    Wait what, you mean that money order I sent to Prince U'buwatu is a scam? He's not going to send me 3 million dollars?
    Mid 2010 MBP 2.53 GHz i5, 4GB RAM || iPhone 4 16 GB iOS 4.3 (not jailbroken) || Amazon Kindle (graphite display) || HP Netbook running Win7 or Ubuntu || Various iPods
    *Macintosh, MACintosh, or M.A.C.intosh. Which one looks correct? *

Unhappy
    Quote Originally Posted by thekilierdonut View Post
    Wait what, you mean that money order I sent to Prince U'buwatu is a scam? He's not going to send me 3 million dollars?
    Nope, and I'm sorry to report that the Nigerian Space Program doesn't exist either, which means I'll never get a cut on the Mars mining profits!
    The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot live in a cradle forever.
    -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Father of Modern Rocketry

Thread Information