New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Dilema

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mh10190

Alright
Ive been thinking about getting a Mac for a while now
But im very undecisive
I have the money to get an iMac new
But i keep looking on ebay and forums for deals
I have a pretty crappy HP laptop, but it suits my basic needs
I want to get into developing, graphic design, and a little Video,Audio,image production
My main dilema is
Should i wait for the end of 2006
when Vista and Leoperd comes out
see which one is better
and get a Mactel
and put both of them on it
Vista is going to be amazing
and Leoperd is def going to be better
but the thought that ill get an iMac now and then Vista is something that i will want
i dont know
tell me what you would do in my situation
i can use a new computer
but i could possibly strech out my HP for another year
but it will be tough
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

you might wanna read this: http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0506intelmac.html, sounds like installing winblowz isn't worth it, then again, when is it ever? for what you are saying you want to do, windows has nothing to offer you, and the mac has it all covered. as far as waiting for leopard, there are no release dates, not even a time period, but since we're still on 10.4.2, I assume tiger will last very long.
windows vista aka tiger wannabe: LMFAO.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh10190
Vista is going to be amazing
er, haven't you seen the beta version of vista? It ain't looking good man. Gates has already dropped far too many features that would have made it amazing. Windows really isn't the way to go for general personal computing.

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
as far as waiting for leopard, there are no release dates, not even a time period, but since we're still on 10.4.2, I assume tiger will last very long.
windows vista aka tiger wannabe: LMFAO.
I havn't heard any release dates either, but didn't Steve Jobs say that Leopard would be released at the same time as Vista in his WWDC Keynote a couple months back?
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

"We intend to release leopard at the end of 2006 or early 2007, right around the time Microsoft is expected to release Longhorn."
~19:00 into WWDC 2005 Keynote, Steve Jobs
QUOTE Thanks
mh10190

I was looking at a currrent vista beta 2 demo
It isnt as bad as mac users make it seem
The GUI is pretty flashy
Not as nice as OS X, but none the less
And they copied Spotlight and Dashboard
and they will put WinFS in a couple of months later
one thing i think is cool is that if you plug in a thumb drive
that becomes another memory flash module
which is very cool
but leoperd (coming out the same time s vista)
will probably have the same features and then some
i really dont know
i have a HP that can last me till then
I know computers start getting obsolete in less than a year
but in this situation
with 2 new OSes and Mactel
im worried about my Mac becoming obsolete sooner than the rest
and i cant even upgrade anything (except the RAM)
im wondering what will be the benefits of getting a Mac now, over waiting
over than the fact that i will have an amazing machine
what do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluu
er, haven't you seen the beta version of vista? It ain't looking good man. Gates has already dropped far too many features that would have made it amazing. Windows really isn't the way to go for general personal computing.
Well I took a look at the MS Vista website and couldn't find any features that weren't already in Tiger and very few that aren't already in the latest Linux releases (Ipv6? Blimey I had that at least 3 years ago on Linux), then I came across the following proviso:

"Note Features discussed on this site are subject to change. Some may not be included in the final product due to marketing, technical, or other reasons."

So what we have is a new OS from Microsoft due out in a years time which has no new features over what Tiger has today, in addition it is not even likely to have all of the features promised. Add to that the fact that Tiger is now very stable and will have at least another couple of major upgrades before Vista/Longhorn are even available and I would be quite happy to buy a new Mac tomorrow (if I didn't already have enough of them that is!).

I'm not even convinced that XP-64 will be released in a commercial version anytime soon even though it appears quite stable (and really fast) mainly due to problems with drivers for legacy kit, I've not been able to find stable 64-bit drivers for my wireless network cards or soundcards and I'm not even bothering to look for my flash readers, SCSI scanner or other older stuff.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
1hot5.0

In your situation, I would go ahead and buy a mac now. When I purchased my PowerBook G4 a couple weeks ago, the Apple sales man told me that Apple guaranteed that I would be able to run any software title or operating system for 3 years. He said I more than likely could stretch that out to 5 years.
QUOTE Thanks
jessica

I would not wait for the mac. i would get it now. if you feel as though you need windows you can always spend <400 on a box and use a kvm to switch between the two. i game so I always have a windows box on hand. However, mac is used for all my general computing needs including: photography, some video editing, burning ... cds, graphic work, painting, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

Sorry for asking a stupid and rude question but do you have something wrong with your Return key as you seem to be writting in poem-structure? I'm just curious why people type like that...
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Uhh. Because they feel like it.
Okay?
And it seperates topics and subjects and the such like.
Okay?
QUOTE Thanks
UncSki1218

Yeah i looked at vista. i don't mean to criticize but i cant help but think how macish it looks. Does gates think he can attract people by catching up with apple. adding a more aqua like gui and a dashboard imitator won't help. they might as well just copy a mac because they certainly don't have any ideas of their own (from what they've said so far). one last thing..any ideas of what new features leopard might have?
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCraver
Uhh. Because they feel like it.
Okay?
And it seperates topics and subjects and the such like.
Okay?
Like Okay. Like Yeah.

Hehe, I just had to make some fun. But I like the way that was typed. Very easy to read. I am surprised that wasn't picked up by the person who posted that question.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Don't wait. Get a decent spec Mac today and whether it has PowerPC or Intel x86 won't be as much as an issue as it was in 1994 whether you had a 68K or PPC.

Programs will come in a universal binary format which means there will be code for the PPC and x86 Macs in one executable or something along those lines, although the programs will likely be fairly big!

Leopard will be available in PPC version too, so why wait a year+ to make your life easier, make computing more enjoyable and hassle free, and to make doing your work exciting? :flower:

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I attended a PC Magazine sponsored event called "Everything Longhorn" a few weeks ago.

The general consensus was that it was very Mac-like, and from the beta demo they're right. The "Aero" interface has a lot of transparency, drop shadows, and zooming and fading, which are not new to OSX users. They've also added something called "Safe Sleep" and "Quick Resume" which, again, are not new to Mac users.

IE7 will have tabbed browsing and RSS support. Outlook Express will have built-in spam filtering. "Search" is everywhere. Users with Admin rights will still have to authenticate before doing true Admin-type tasks. Stop me if any of these sound familiar. :-)

It was difficult to say how well applications would run on it, as they were simply showing what was built into the OS at this point.

The minimum requirements for hardware running Longhorn/Vista is 512 MB of RAM and a video card with 32 bits/pixel and 64 MB of graphics RAM. The hardware must carry a "certified for Windows XP" label (or, more accurately, meet the requirements to carry such a sticker).

Like johnny said above, Microsoft keeps dropping features from the OS. I heard on the TWIT podcast a few weeks ago that WINFS is not currently on the schedule to be included in Vista at all. (Of course, they also repeated the rumor that there are to be seven different versions of Vista available, depending on the features you want.)

Moral of the story-- if you want to wait and your HP can handle it, get Vista. My recommendation: all these features are in OSX right now, so go for a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "New" g4 machine - need to remove old user account | Which Power Mac G4? »