New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Questions!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trikitt

Heya!

I am going to buy an iBook tomorrow or not if my questions are answered and I don't like the answers hee hee.

I am doing an adverising degree and I have always wanted an iBook due to their power and generally how sleek they look, but i have a few questions about them before I go and buy one.

1. Can I install MSN Messenger onto my iBook direct from the MSN website and it just works?

2. Can things like SoulSeek etc that are .exe work on an Apple Mac because i am going to be a student and I need all the freebies I can get.

3. Do most Printers work in Apple Macs?

4. Is there anyway that I can save a document that i have sreated burn it to a CD and it works on a Windows PC so that I could print it off.

I apologise in advance if these questions are like really basic i would just like to know that is all.

Thanks in adavance.

Iain x
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

Question 1: Yes, but i prefer Adium x
Question2: no. exe's dont run on mac without virtual pc. but there are p2p alternatives, but p2p is dead, and it's just not good.
Question3: Yes, at least all of the ones i have encounterd do.
Question4: if i understand you correctly, you have documents on a cd that you want to print, it should work just fine on the mac, with no problem.

Enjoy your new Ibook

QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Ghost Shadow did a good job covering it.

#1: Yes
#2: All software must be software made for mac. You can't use software made for mac on a pc, and you can't use software made for pc on a mac. However, many programs have both Mac and PC versions, and for those that don't, there is almost always an alternative. There are other file sharing apps though. Limewire works on a mac.
#3: Yes
#4: Yes...Usually if the file is in the native format of the program it is created in...say a Word Document, it can be opened in both versions of it (mac and pc). You can also "print to" a PDF on macs, which are files that can be opened using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. You could then print from that.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I concur with Ghost on most answers, although I don't use Adium because I only IM with a couple people who use either MSN Messenger or AIM, so when I want to talk to them I fire up the appropriate client. I just don't IM enough, I guess.

On the printer issue, be careful. I have a Samsung ML-1430 laser printer-- an awesome buy from Sam's Club a couple years ago for something like $40-- and Samsung just removed the OSX drivers from their USA site a few months ago. No explanation, they were just GONE, although the Windows ones were still there. The printer drivers included with Tiger don't include anything suitable, so I thought I was stuck.

The story has a happy ending, though-- someone on another forum posted that Samsung still has the OSX drivers available if you go to their international site.

The moral of the story is: most popular printers are already in Tiger, but there are some oddballs out there.
QUOTE Thanks
Trikitt

Heya!

Thanks for the info. I am glad that there some nice people out there because I went to the apple shop in Manchester in the UK and they were being a touch harsh with me because I didn't know the ins-and-outs. I have one final question why don't applications like Soulseek and other things like that work and MSN does when i presume that is a .exe file? Thanks so much and I will keep you posted on the iBook situation.

Iain x
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

In most cases a file/application that has an .exe extension are written for a PC/window environment. These biniaries are created for that one environment. Where is MSN has been created to run in both environments. You will note that you are not running the .exe file in the OS X environment.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
UncSki1218

yeah most apps for macs are .dmg or some other compressed format (.exe wont work) so an app u have that works on windows and mac is a different type of file for each one. some apps just havent been made for macs while others have. to answer ur question...im guessing that on the msn website there are two different download choices mac or pc, so depending which u choose its a different file type and some only have the pc type.
QUOTE Thanks
Trikitt

Heya!

Thanks For All the InPut Guys.

This is my last question I promise. On the Mac MSN do you get to put up a display picture as I like doing that so much.

Thanks!

Iain x
QUOTE Thanks
BEEEsH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikitt
Heya!

Thanks For All the InPut Guys.

This is my last question I promise. On the Mac MSN do you get to put up a display picture as I like doing that so much.

Thanks!

Iain x
Yep. The newest version allows you to do that. Enjoy!
QUOTE Thanks
Trikitt

Heya!

Wow Thanks Guys! I have wanted an Apple Mac for about 5 years now and I am so glad that the leap from a Windows PC to an Apple One isn't so difficult. I have even found the Mac Soulseek Equivelent in the shape of Nicotine? Does anyone on here use it? I would like to know which is the best P2P program because I am going to be a student and I would like to know which is the best as I won't be able to afford to buy CDs anytime soon hee hee.

Heres me bumpin' my gums about the programs when Really I should be asking you helpful folk if the iBook is a good buy and where it is worth shelling out the extra cash to buy the 14" Rather Than the 12".

Thanks again Guys.

Iain x
QUOTE Thanks
1hot5.0

I would shell out the extra cash for the 14 inch version. When I purchased my PowerBook G4 about 2 weeks ago, I was debating this same thing and quickly decided that the 15 inch was worth the extra money.

To sum it all up, I would get the biggest screen that you could afford. Your eyes will thank you in the long run. Just my $.02.
QUOTE Thanks
Trikitt

Well the 14" it is!

So Ladies and Gentlemen does anyone know a decent P2P program and then I promise I will shut up haha!

Iain x
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikitt
Well the 14" it is!

So Ladies and Gentlemen does anyone know a decent P2P program and then I promise I will shut up haha!

Iain x
You have a private message
QUOTE Thanks
Trikitt

*Tips hat to Mac Users Across The Globe*

Thank You Very Much for you input guys and I look forward to asking you questions on how to use my iBook haha!

Iain x
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I realize this may be too late in the game, but I would recommend the 12" iBook if you intend on carrying it around with you all the time.

For years, I had a 14" ThinkPad and believe me, it got heavy and its (relative) bulkiness in my bag made it a bit of a pain. (As a point of reference, my 14" ThinkPad weighed about the same as my gf's 14" iBook.

When I switched to the 12" iBook, my life got a lot easier. And my shoulder got a lot less tired.

:-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« First time buyer, Should I buy this ibook G3? advice please. | Getan old g4 and keep my IBM Thinkpad or sell the thinkpad and get a new iBook? »