New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

intel macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

msett

Ok. I know this is discussed so I hope I wont be killed for posting this. Anyways, I was planning get a Imac G5 17inch coming up here. Now some people say I should wait for intel and buy a mac mini for mean time. Still spending a lot of money so I am thinking that I might as well just pay for an imac right now. Will they all the sudden stop making software for G5's after next year? Also if come next summer I am using my Imac, will it be consider I am using an old retired computer? I know you can always wait for something new so I figured there is no point in waiting. Yes, I dont need a mac but I want one. But do you guys truly think its a smart move to buy a new mac considering Intel coming next year? Will I still have a good computer that will run programs for at least the next several years, or am I buying something at the end of its life? I think I decided I can just wait since something new is coming since there is always something new coming. But give me your clear cut good opinions.

Matt
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by msett
Will I still have a good computer that will run programs for at least the next several years?
Yes, it will be good for many many years.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

your computer will be just as good then as it is now, which is pretty darn good! Apple has stated that the powerpc will be supported for a long time, considering how long they have used them and how many people own them. Also, one thing to consider, is that the first batch of intel run macs will probably be with their fair share of bugs. As with any major hardware development, there are bound to be glitches. The powerpc is a great processor, and the imac, a great computer. you will not be disapointed, and it will be a good computer for quite some time.
QUOTE Thanks
msett

Thanks Guys. You really make sense.

Matt
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

In the meantime, you could use the 'Search' facility and read the many similar threads that already exist for more assurance :p

But in short: Yes
QUOTE Thanks
msett

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoSharingan
In the meantime, you could use the 'Search' facility and read the many similar threads that already exist for more assurance :p

But in short: Yes
I will search more.

Now what are you saying yes to? Buying now or waiting?

Matt
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by msett
I will search more.

Now what are you saying yes to? Buying now or waiting?

Matt

he meant yes as in if you buy now, itll be a good computer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows Media Player 10 | Can I install OS x from ibook to iMac? »