Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    How about just moving on? The information you received about the light under Finder was accurate. Same when you run any other program the light comes on.

Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer does lead to confusion.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
    Would just like to say, that this is by default: there is a terminal command that allows you to add "Quit Finder" to the Global Menu. i run it when i need all the CPU/RAM resources i can muster.

in short, you can quit the Finder, it just involves a bit of tweaking.
    True but once you quit it, it automatically restarts and you can't stop that. It's impossible to have a user interface and have no instances of Finder open.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    Forgive me for going off topic from the OP, but vansmith's post has intrigued me.

So, i quit Finder. As in, i use the terminal command to add "Quit finder" to the global menu:

Then obviously the app itself quits. (the laptop icon is finder, i changed it. note: no LED underneath)

it is now not present in Activity monitor. (arranged by process, alpahabetically, you can see no Finder)

do you mean to say that background processes and daemons such as WindowServer etc are part of Finder, and cant be quit? because I don't see no Finder there
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Robert, are the icons still on the desktop? They are not here. Just the dock which is more than I got in Vista when I quit explorer. Total blank desktop with just the background.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Robert, are the icons still on the desktop? They are not here.
    sorry, i dont understand? do you mean the icons finder uses for Hard drives and discs etc? once i quit Finder everything on the desktop dissapears. just background remains.

(on another note, ive realised my "quit finder" attachment contains profanity, would like a mod to remove it if they can, i edited the strings of the Finder app one day while drunk and bored, and havent bothered to change it back yet.)

EDIT: thanks vansmith
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)

Specs:
    here is a censored version of my "Quit Finder"

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    sorry, i dont understand? do you mean the icons finder uses for Hard drives and discs etc? once i quit Finder everything on the desktop dissapears. just background remains.
    [/SIZE]
    That is what I was after.

When you quit Explorer in Vista there is just the background and not one other thing. Tried it this morning for the fun of it.

Specs:
    Forgive me for going off topic from the OP, but vansmith's post has intrigued me.

So, i quit Finder. As in, i use the terminal command to add "Quit finder" to the global menu:

Then obviously the app itself quits. (the laptop icon is finder, i changed it. note: no LED underneath)
    Odd. If I kill Finder from the command line, it automatically reopens. I hadn't realized that there was an option to quit Finder altogether. It would appear that Quartz Compositor (aka. WindowServer) that is the windowing system. So my last statement is technically incorrect but would you want to use OS X with no open instance of Finder? I'm actually surprised that you still have a wallpaper - something other than Finder (WindowServer?) must be responsible for it.

That's expected - the Desktop is a "Finder window" so to speak.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    How to Create a "Quit Finder" Menu Item With Terminal - wikiHow

thats the command line way to add it to the global menu. Its also good when you just want to clear the desktop quickly.

I think i did it with TinkerTool.

Specs:
    Interesting. I had thought that Finder was a special process that always had to be running.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    I always think that messing around with "Terminal" for 99.9% of users is a bad idea!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I always think that messing around with "Terminal" for 99.9% of users is a bad idea!

- Nick
    Couldn't agree more. You have to know it to use it. That's why virtual machines are a great testbed.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:

- Nick
    i just like using to pretend I am clever. usually i just do what would take me five seconds in finder (cd'ing through directories.) takes me about ten years, but its fun sometimes

also, a little bit of SSHing into my Mac upstairs to turn the music off. thats about it. Laziness prevails.

Specs:
    I am glad the OP asked this question as it got some of us busy in the Terminal and learning ways to get around it the Finder or Explorer go down! In Vista you just keep the Task Manager open and hit File and run and put in Explorer.exe and it comes back up!

The Terminal should be left to people who really know it as it really can get a person into trouble if they do not know what they are doing.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Couldn't agree more. You have to know it to use it. That's why virtual machines are a great testbed.

I include myself in that 99.9%!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information