New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Can I install OS x from ibook to iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sseale

I have an iMac that is running Mac OS X 10.2. I just purchased an iBook which is running OS X 10.4 Tiger.

I am wondering if I can install Tiger from my iBook installation disks, onto my iMac? I know I shouldn't install everything, but can I install JUST the OS X Tiger operating platform on my iMac from the disk that came with my iBook? Or are there compatability issues? Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

No, you cannot install it on another computer. That is a violation of the EULA.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

You can not do this since the iBook disc's are only made to work on iBooks and not other computers such as the iMac.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Actually-it would probably work, but you aren't allowed since you only have 1 license.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4
You can not do this since the iBook disc's are only made to work on iBooks and not other computers such as the iMac.
Actually an OSX disk will work on any Mac with supported specs so in this case it would work. But as everyone has pointed out doing so would be illegal since you are only licensed to be running one copy of OSX 10.4

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanyogan
The question was not could I legally, it was just can I do it. Yes you can with no problems, and no the FBI won't kick in your door.
No an iBook disk will not work on an iMac, they are hardware specific restore disks and the installation will not complete

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Interesting. I have a set of Panther disks that say "eMac" and they install just fine on an iBook.

(FWIW, I bought these from a reputable dealer-- often mentioned in these forums-- and the disks came with its own, sealed EULA.)
QUOTE Thanks
MadSkillzMan

MadSkillzMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual G5 powermac

well, if you were to delete it off one mac it would be legal (wouldnt it?)

i had osx.2 for an iBook, loaded right on my Beige G3

from what i gather, OSX has scripts to setup per mac. like, itll see whicih mac you have, locate the driver for that mac, and just install

however i think the OSX4 G5 disks might not work on a g4

new vid 8/8/05
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

all legal questions aside, there should be no problem installing OSX slated for another system. i also bought mine from a legal vendor, sealed, meant for another type of system and it works fine for me.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
MadSkillzMan

even with OEM PCs you can many times swap the disks, except dell in all their worthlessness, has to be exact to the serial/model number

new vid 8/8/05
QUOTE Thanks
prostuff1

prostuff1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSkillzMan
however i think the OSX4 G5 disks might not work on a g4
You are correct.

I tryed to do this for a Teacher at my school. He is the tech admin and i was his student aid. He ordered tiger discs and got a bad run i guess becuase no matter how many times he tryed to install it was always srewed up in the end. I had just gotten a new iMac G5 and i thought that my discs would work so i brought them in and he tryed them...well the install never would go anywhere. I ended up taking the disc back home and he found a disc that was for 10.3 and from an eMac. That worked fine so he installed form that and sent in a request for new tiger discs.

So G5 restore discs WILL NOT work on a G4 Macintosh computer
QUOTE Thanks
MadSkillzMan

Yea i thought so, probably a real space saver to put only the 64bit OS on it...well i do have the osx.4 update dvd i got from apple for 10$, im not sure if itd work on only the G5 or not

i know the G5 osx.3 cd's you can play with

new vid 8/8/05
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« intel macs | Visual Studio.Net installed on Mac OS X? »