New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

Thread Closed

MikiV6

MikiV6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocZ06 View Post
I'm going to toss in my .2 cents, and run.

It boggles my mind I have actually found Mac user's here utilizing Norton products. I'm not going to debate anyone.

Amen to that. Both of these products are bloatware. Fills your hd with unnecessary utilities that hook into the system and are **** near impossible to remove completely. Slow and process hungry, not to mention they do not get all the virai that are out there. Norton mises about 24% of virai and McAfee misses about 55%... says it all huh! Just because MS endorse this rubbish does not make it good. If you value your computer avoid these at all costs.
Brown Noise

Brown Noise is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/160GB HD/Superdrive, 80GB Black Ipod

Hey this is just the thread that I was hoping to find. I had a few questions myself but it seems that they've been covered for the most part. Including whether or not Norton really is a resource hog. I found this to be true but I never thought to check if anyone else was having this problem.

So I guess I'm wondering what most of you think is the best software that doesn't seem to hog the system.
kmustangt

kmustangt is on a distinguished road

I am on windows now but am about to get new computer and am going to mac i do believe. Bone head move to make all programs obsolete from xp to vista, it really tics me off so i am done with them from now on. If this keeps up then we will have to worry about viruses because the market share will increase from the 15% now to whatever tomorrow. hackers will take notice and start writting bugs, or will that be a concern for macs os?
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmustangt View Post
If this keeps up then we will have to worry about viruses because the market share will increase from the 15% now to whatever tomorrow. hackers will take notice and start writting bugs, or will that be a concern for macs os?
Your concern is known as the safety-through-obscurity myth or the market-share myth.

The following are three articles of the pages of results that shatter the myth If you run a web search for

mac myth "market share" virus

David Pogue, writing for the New York Times.
And this one.
And this one.

The third one, though it knocks the notion of virus danger, contains some low-key FUD that is typical of many articles keeping the myth alive. There is one reader response, though, that exposes the story's slant>
Quote:
Oh come on. Anonymous -- 15/10/07

What a fluff peice this is. The Verizon guys sums it all up when he says there's no Mac viruses replicating in the wild (same goes for linux too). This whole argument is absurd. If two guys go to the same work, take the same bus and contact the same people everyday and one of those guys is constantly sick with colds, flu's, viruses, while the other guy never has a day off sick in his life, who is healthier? The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Run Windows and you WILL eventually be hit by one of the many thousands of viruses out there. Run Mac or Linux and you won't, it's just that simple. And the reason there are so many thousands (yes, think about it THOUSANDS) of times more viruses for Windows than Mac or Linux isn't some stupid market share argument, it's because it's TRIVIAL to break Windows machines but a LOT, LOT harder to break Mac or Linux.
amardilo

amardilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Does anyone know how to turn on the firewall in Leopard? I went into Sharing in System Prefs and could not find an option to turn it on.
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amardilo View Post
Does anyone know how to turn on the firewall in Leopard? I went into Sharing in System Prefs and could not find an option to turn it on.
It's under Security.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

amardilo

amardilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
It's under Security.
Which of the 3 options should I pick?
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Pick the option that does what you want it to do. From Apple's Help menu:

Quote:
Using the Firewall pane of Security preferences
You can use the personal firewall in Mac OS X to prevent unwanted connections from the Internet or network.

Sharing services are enabled in the firewall when they are turned on in the Sharing preferences. To prevent connections with one of these services you must turn the service off in the Sharing preferences. For more information on sharing, see:

Sharing your computer with others on your network
Here are some ways to set up the firewall:

To allow remote connection of all applications and services to this computer, select “Allow all incoming connections.”

To have your firewall prevent connection of all services and applications, select “Block all incoming connections.”

To alter the default firewall connections for an application or service, select “Limit incoming connections to specific services and applications.” For more information on firewall connections, see:

Setting firewall access for services and applications

To add an application, click Add (+), choose the application, and then use the up and down arrows to set the limits for the item.

To monitor firewall activity, click Advanced, and the select Enable Firewall Logging.

To view the log of firewall activity, click Open Log.

To prevent your system from revealing its existence to uninvited traffic, click Advanced, and then click “Enable Stealth Mode.”

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

rebeccak

rebeccak is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure i'm a switcher, with me it's more the right hand works the mac and left works windows. I like that
stealth info. That's wonderful thanx.

In all fairness vista is icky but it does work xp software. just use compatibility tab and run as xp. that's about the only thing it does right.

I was happy with mac when finally got the dvd drive open.
took me 3 hours. lol this forum is a godsend.
damainman

damainman is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Considering the length of this thread, I slightly skimmed through it so I apologize in advance if my questions were already answered.

But considering the date the original post, and now that leopard is out.. how relevant is the original post today?

Meaning has anything changed over the years to make users now consider using antivirus, antispyware programs with an active firewall? If so, are there any freeware programs that are both reliable and not a performance hog?

I just got my first mac and on my windows computer I had: windows defender, Trendmicro AV and firewall, AVG rootkit, and winpatrol.

I know windows is suppose to be more vulnerable to attacks then mac, but I would still like to know what can i do to make sure i'm not that small percentage of people of do get their macs infected.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I suppose if you want to break it down to the definition of specific wording, then yes I could change it . However since this is just a general FAQ for newbies, I don't really know if it's necessary to break it down into a linguistic battle of semantics .

As for your other comment, you are correct, that may also be an issue for some users although certainly not widespread. Thanks for adding to the FAQ.
lol, so eloquently put forward
Mac_OS

i am new to the world of macs well to owning my own computer at all actually. At home we've always had PC's but i decided to make the leap and go Apple even though ALL of my friends said " no, they're rubbish and incompatible." lol it still makes me smile when i think of them shouting at their computers to respond, and Vista wow what a nightmare. At the moment i have no regrets and am very pleased to be part of the apple community In regards to antivirus i have norton antivirus but i am an ex-p.c. user so i still felt like i had to have that extra 'safety net' i havnt noticed a performance lag yet but then again i only just got it... I do have a question though, if there are NO viruses for mac os x then what is norton antivirus designed to do and wen i dowload security updates what is it downloading?
Colin Key

Colin Key is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_OS View Post
if there are NO viruses for mac os x then what is norton antivirus designed to do and wen i dowload security updates what is it downloading?
Norton is trading on your FEAR of viruses, etc. and you are just wasting your money. I also run a PC and have at long last taken the advice of many, many people: Norton is a big, fat, slow pig which takes up too much space and slows down your machine. I have now put Zone Alarm and AVG Free on and they work a treat, and also use Adaware, Spybot and CCleaner on a regular basis. I have also moved from IE to Firefox. All this is free, gratis, for nothing and works better than the commercial packages.

Colin
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_OS View Post
. . . if there are NO viruses for mac os x then what is norton antivirus designed to do and wen i dowload security updates what is it downloading?
It's downloading updates to Windows anti-virus stuff, all that it can run on your Mac, supposedly to protect any Windows machines that might be on a network with your Mac.

If a Windows virus is found, it's dealt with. But any such virus could sit there for a million years and do nothing except take up disk space.

ClamX does the same thing as Norton, but better, and it's free.

Colin Key is right; Norton is cashing in on fear.
Mac_OS

i will deinstall now.....

Thread Closed

« Transferring emails from Windows to New iMac. | Time machine and saving internal memory »