New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Arial everywhere! (font madness)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blankenship

blankenship is on a distinguished road

Somehow all of a sudden last week, Google started showing all my search results in ALL CAPS ARIAL font.
I've also noticed it in email replies from people.

It's very hard to read, and I'm very confused about how this happened and how to fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankenship View Post
Somehow all of a sudden last week, Google started showing all my search results in ALL CAPS ARIAL font.
I've also noticed it in email replies from people.

It's very hard to read, and I'm very confused about how this happened and how to fix it?
That is odd. I would try deleting the Fonts cache, then reboot and see if that fixes it. Onyx can do this, found on the menu under Cleaning.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
blankenship

wellllll.
i've tried using Onyx to solve this, with no avail...(onyx>cleaning>systems+users).

despite updating to Mac OS 10.6.8 and both Firefox and Safari browsers,
I STILL get all my Google search results in ALL CAPS ARIAL font.

any other ideas / advice?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Screenshot please.
QUOTE Thanks
blankenship

screenshot attached.

this is happening in both Firfox and Safari. not only are web results in Arial All Caps, but also lots of the text i type.
some of my incoming emails show up in Apple Mail as Arial All Caps, too.

default fonts for both Firefox and Safari are set to "Times."
if i copy the Arial text from my browsers and paste it into a blank TextEdit document, it shows up as "Times," even though my default font for new TextEdit docs is set to Helvetica.

i tried the Onyx font cleaning again, as well as Onyx's browser cache cleaning.
no dice.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-09-08 at 6.21.20 AM.png (149.1 KB, 30 views)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

This old thread has the answer.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Nice catch Van! That reminds me of when I installed SP-1 for Office 2011 it overwrote a bunch of fonts in both the library fonts and Office font folders resulting in lots of dupes. Font Book resolved it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Nice catch Van! That reminds me of when I installed SP-1 for Office 2011 it overwrote a bunch of fonts in both the library fonts and Office font folders resulting in lots of dupes. Font Book resolved it.
It took my "expert" Google skills for that one.

What an odd problem with 2011 SP1. I didn't have that happen to me so I wonder what it was that caused that for you.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
blankenship

Yeah!
I just used the "validate fonts" feature in font book to discover I had (+-) 1200 fonts, and (+-) 800 of them had various "issues" or "duplicates."
I moved all fonts from my "User" account into the "Library" and then deleted all duplicates.
I'm now totally consolidated and browsers display as they should.
Thanks y'all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Application Keyboard Shortcut | Security Software »