New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

USB 2.0 cardreader not detected by iBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PCJ

Hi,

I have an iBook G4, and tried to connect my generic USB 2.0 Cardreader to it. However, it was not detected as a removable drive.
I thought OSX had generic drivers for a device like this one? What can I do to get it to be detected? The only type of card I really care about is SD, even though the cardreader has slots for just about anything.

My detailed specs, in case it matters:

iBook G4 12"
1.2ghz
256mb
30gb
OSX 10.3.9

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJ
Hi,

I have an iBook G4, and tried to connect my generic USB 2.0 Cardreader to it. However, it was not detected as a removable drive.
I thought OSX had generic drivers for a device like this one?
Not necessarily. Do you know the brand name of it? You might want to go to the manufacturer's site and see if they have drivers/software that you can download for Mac.
You might also want to try connecting the Camera/device that you are using the card with to the Mac to see if it reads it that way.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
PCJ

It's by a brand called Hama. On their website, they only have the drivers that are also in the CD.
The Amazon.de link is here, if it helps:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...981192-6162114

If find this very bizarre, because the driver CD even had drivers for OS9.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Silly question time: Do you have an SD card plugged into the reader? Unlike Windows in mac card readers and other removable media drives only show up when there is media in them.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yeah I ran into this too:

The device ay be working fine - but OS X only shows connected volumes - not drives.
So unless you've inserted a card, you won't notice if it's working or not.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Yeah I ran into this too:

The device ay be working fine - but OS X only shows connected volumes - not drives.
So unless you've inserted a card, you won't notice if it's working or not.
Absolutely. Which my opinion is better than the way Windows does it. I have an 8-in-1 card reader and one time I plugged it into a Windows machine and it added 8 drives. Just stupid in my opinion.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
PCJ

Yes, I have a card in it. It's a Kingston SD card with a bunch of pictures on it.

Maybe I have actually ran across a USB device that isn't compatible with a mac? That would be a first-timer.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Now that is weird...
I have a hama card reader and it shows up fine...
Have you tried a different usb port?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

also try it on another computer to make sure it is still working. Card readers are the one accessory that I always find to die on me. I think I am on my 5th or 6th card reader because the old ones will either show up, but screw up all files upon importing, or not show up at all

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I did it and I'm... | Question Regarding Remoteing into cisco routers »