New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

2 starting pages by default - how?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kuantro

Kuantro is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I need to set up up two pages to be opened as starting by default, is it possible to do this in Mac? I have OS 10.6.7. Could anybody help me with that? In preferences there are options for one starting page only.

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Two pages of what? Can you be more descriptive of what exactly it is that you're trying to do? Are you referring to having several applications open upon startup?
QUOTE Thanks
Kuantro

in Preferences > General I can set up a home page that will open by default every time I open browser. But I need to have two tabs to open by default as my home pages. Is it possible to do?

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Larry H

Larry H is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.53 Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB

Open Preferences>Accounts(Under Systems)>Select 'Login Items'>Click the '+' sign >Select MacIntosh HD (Under devices)>Expand 'Applications' (click the triangle)>Select the applications to be opened at login and click 'Add'

You can also remove any applications that have set themselves up to open at login if you don't want them to open at login. HP printer and scanner software is a particularly bad one for doing that.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Hi Kuantro!

It really, really, really, really REALLY would have been helpful if you have cared to mention what application you are talking about.

Be deduction, I have figured out that you are talking about Safari (most likely). The answer to your question is YES, you can do this, but not quite as you're expecting. Here's one way of doing what you want to do:

1. Visit the first page you want to have as a homepage and bookmark it.
2. Visit the second page and bookmark it.
3. Go to the Bookmarks area (the icon on the far left of the bookmarks bar) and gather those two bookmarks into a folder (plus sign on the bottom). Then put this folder into the Bookmarks bar.
4. Set your homepage to blank in preferences.
5. Now when you open your browser, simply click on the folder in the bookmarks bar and choose "open in tabs." Sorry, I don't know of any way to do that automatically, but at least it's only one click.

Alternate method:

Safari has a facility called "Top Sites." This is by default made up of the sites you visit most often, but by pressing the "Edit" button on the top sites "page" you can "pin" the two you are most interested in (I think the minimum number of sites in Top Sites is six).

If you set Top Sites as your "homepage," you now have six or so homepages to instantly choose from. Just command-click any of them to open in a new tab.
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

I was able to find this little script to do what you want

Open Safari to multiple tabbed pages - Mac OS X Hints

also I believe Google Chrome and Firefox will both do this in the options

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

This can be done pretty eaily using Safari and Automator. Before you open Automator to build the workflow open Safari and go to Preferences. Set Safari to open new pages in tabs. Next download and install the Display Webpages in Tabs action.raoli.com Automator Actions.

Now to build the workflow do the following:
1 Launch Automator and tell it you are building an application.
2. Drop the following actions into the blank pane at the right of the Automator window
A. Get Specified Urls Expand the action and enter Urls for the sites you want to open.
B. Display Webpages in Tabs

Hit Automator's run button to test the program you have built. If it works save the thing as an application. Next time you want these pages open double click your application.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

a way easier way to do this.

Make a bookmark folder with the sites you want to open when you start the browser.

Safari Preferences - General - New sites open with - select the Bookmark folder.

bang, you are done.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Kuantro

Hello Everybody!

thank you very much for all your kindest help and tips! I am sorry for being so inaccurate with the request omitting important details (Safari), and for being late with the reply ( for some reason I did not receive the alerts in my mail box).

I finally figured it out with your help (new bookmark folder > display in tabs = done). Now it works exactly the way I need it! Thank you very very much!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac Virgin! | transfer to ipad »