New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buying advice: 15" PB v. 17" iMac & 12" iBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ghettochild

ghettochild is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

here's the deal. I was originally considering this (all prices w/ edu disc.):

15" G4 PB 1.67GHz 1GB RAM (2 slots) 100GB HDD 128 vRAM SD APP -> $2.653

now I'm considering this:

17" iMac G5 2GHz 1GB RAM (2 slots) 160 GB HDD 128 MB vRAM SD APP -> $1.630
+
12" G4 iBook 1.33GHz 512MB RAM 40GB HDD 32MB vRAM Combo APP -> $1.132
_________
$2.762
Price differenc: $109

all right... I don't need to be mobile all the time, i.e., I don't need to drag my LT to campus every day, just every so often. Hence, I'd use the PB as a desktop replacement rather than as a laptop. however, every so often I need to use a LT on campus and for travel.

I've been a winblows user for 13 years, I have zero practical experience w/ macs (except for messin with them @ the apple store or compusa.

putting the $100 price differnce aside (I can make up for that w/ selling the 2nd iPod), which one(s) would u go for?

any input/help is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Pattay

Pattay is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb

I would go for the imac and ibook simply becuase the imac is G5 and will last you longer in the technology world without lagging behind. The ibook is a solid laptop and if you are only using it at campus u you mainly be on the ima anyway.

Imac is better for gameplay and has higher specs than powerbook all round practicially and you get an ibook on teh side for less $$.

Hope this helps but thats what i would do and good luck with your decision i wish i was you lol

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
djeddiebear

You also might be able to save $50 by getting the extra 512MB of RAM for the iMac from a third party retailer.

If you don't need mobile power use, I'd go with the combo. If you need to have as much power as possible when you are mobile, I'd go with the Powerbook. It all depends on what you need.

Eddie.
QUOTE Thanks
aeiou

aeiou is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram

What ws special about that ibook that makes it cost $1100? I got mine with those same specs without the edu. disc. for $999.
QUOTE Thanks
mblphnlvr

mblphnlvr is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd

I think that the price has gone down since he has been looking. I remember this from a while back.

One thing that I think would be useful if you get 2 computers would be the iMac service. I believe it would make it much easier for you to keep things up to date on both computers. (I'm not lucky enough to have 2 macs to test this on!)

I will often find myself wishing that I had a little smaller portable and a little bigger desktop, so I think this might work pretty good for you. The only thing, like others have said, is if you may need some power with the portable. I don't think that the iBook will cut it for much too powerfull apps.
QUOTE Thanks
ghettochild

ghettochild is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

thanks ya'll for the input! :headphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeiou
What ws special about that ibook that makes it cost $1100? I got mine with those same specs without the edu. disc. for $999.
...but w/o the apple apple care plan (= APP in my post), right?
QUOTE Thanks
aeiou

aeiou is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram

ah... I was wondering what you ment by that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« memory question | intellimouse problem »