New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

change background colour

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

f.furter

f.furter is on a distinguished road

Hi, I hate white backgrounds like google, it hurts my eyes, I want to make the default a colour, just on white backgrounds. Is there a simple css file that will do that without totally messing up websites?

(Safari)
QUOTE Thanks
f.furter

Well, I found one solution. Get an app from apple (free) called Turn Off the Lights, set it to green, just a small amount, and turn off automatically on loading page.

It's not ideal as it makes the print fainter, and it goes off if you click on the page, but its not bad.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I much prefer dark backgrounds also, but just not practical all the time. I have to deal with sensitivity to bright lights, etc... Can't hardly go outside on a sunny day without sunglasses, at least not if I want to be able to open my eyes.

You really should be dealing with this by adjusting the brightness and contrast of the monitor though. I am on maybe 5-8 screens in a given day and must adjust these settings several times. When I'm on the same computer screen for a day, it gets adjusted several times that day.

If the screen hurts to look at or causes you to squint, it's time to crank that brightness down to an acceptable level.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Gunnar OPTIKS Eyewear ? Digital Gaming Glasses, Sports Eyewear & 3D Eyeglasses | Gunnars.com
QUOTE Thanks
f.furter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I much prefer dark backgrounds also, but just not practical all the time. I have to deal with sensitivity to bright lights, etc... Can't hardly go outside on a sunny day without sunglasses, at least not if I want to be able to open my eyes.

You really should be dealing with this by adjusting the brightness and contrast of the monitor though. I am on maybe 5-8 screens in a given day and must adjust these settings several times. When I'm on the same computer screen for a day, it gets adjusted several times that day.

If the screen hurts to look at or causes you to squint, it's time to crank that brightness down to an acceptable level.
Have you had your eyes checked? If not you must get checked out. Light sensitivity can be different things, eg a simple vitamin deficiency, but with me it is uveitis which can lead to blindness if not treated.

As for adjusting the screen brightness, i dont want to do that for 2 reasons. One is that I had a load of noise problems after adjusting the brightness and not they are very rare so I darent touch it. Second is I use a programme which has a darkish background and I am used to the skin. My brightness is set to about 40%. Also some of the forums I go on have grey backgrounds. As far as I know I am on normal contrast.

Its mainly google, and a few other sites but this programme seems to be doing the trick.

Also a problem with mail, really apple should be sorting this better
QUOTE Thanks
f.furter

cheers, will have a look
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Not sure if this is a great answer for you, but you can toggle between the normal and "inverse" color scheme by pressing Control+Option+Command with your left hand and tapping the number '8' with your right. You'll notice now that the colors are in the negative, which might be a handy shortcut for you, given your condition.

You can do the same thing once again to toggle the setting off.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yep, I use the above every morning.

And yep, been checked out. Genetic condition of many of us with very light colored eyes. The great thing about it, makes it almost impossible to forget your sunglasses somewhere. (At least during the day time.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
f.furter

I am now typing in white on a black background! Not the ideal answer but it is an option to use sometimes, cheers. Shortcut didnt work for me but I found it under universal access.

But Apple - I just want to be able to replace white backgrounds with a softer colour! Who wants to look at a bright white screen all the time doing a heavy google session or writing mail!

I really must contact them.
QUOTE Thanks
dero

dero will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive

If you are using Fire Fox there is an add-on called 'Stylish " which lets you change the colors on some websites...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/

My happy Macstable
iPod Touch 4th Gen 32Gb
21'5 iMac , 4GB, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz,
1 Terra HDD
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I use a tool called "Flux" (and there are entirely TOO MANY different Mac programs with this name, btw!) that gradually dims the brightness and contrast of the monitor in accordance with the time of day in your location. I find this also helps me get to sleep faster when I'm finally done with the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
pitbullmamaliz

pitbullmamaliz is on a distinguished road

Thank you SO much for posting about F.lux. This may help my evening migraines out immensely.

Liz - recent Mac convert!
2011 MacBook Pro, 13", i5
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Twitter, how to follow? | Powerbook G4 hard drive to new Mac Pro HELP!! »