New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Should I (Me) Purchase applecare?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TGITC

TGITC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G

I bought an iMac in June last year, and its been fine. I dont need telephone support or additional help. But I am thinking it would be nice to have the warrantee, should anything go physically wrong with the imac.

Then I started thinking. I bought a sony vaio laptop about 4 years ago, and it still works fine today. I bought the sony, because at the time, it was 'good quality' (Less likely to go wrong) and it hasn't...

So that got me thinking. What is the likelihood of the imac (again, great quality) going wrong in the next two years?

Stuff happens, the worlds an imperfect place and I know that, but I am simply wondering if a great quality computer such as the imac is likely to go wrong in the next 2 years? Are there any general statistics available?

I dont think I have ever really had a computer go wrong on me within a 5 year period ever... So why should it happen with one of the top end products from apple?

Or am I thinking this wrong and there is some kinda benefit I am not aware of ?

Please help me make up my mind. Should I buy applecare?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

There's really no entity that keeps statistics for failed computers. In general, organizations like Consumer Reports and others rank Apple computers pretty high in terms of reliability.

With that said, I have seen Apple use some pretty craptastic parts in their otherwise high-end machines (like the Toshiba HDD that accompanied my 2011 MBP). And although a hard drive failure in a serviceable machine like the Unibody Macbook Pro is not a big deal for me - it would be a very big deal in an iMac, since they are not easily serviceable for the average Joe.

Another option besides Apple's own AppleCare might be SquareTrade's warranty service.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

The warranty for an iMac isn't that expensive, $169 I think? At least compared to $349 for a MBP. Figure $85 a year, about $7 a month. If you sell it later to upgrade, you should be able to easily tack on an extra $100 or so because it's protected by AppleCare, even if there's only a few months left. It's the peace of mind knowing that while you have it, normal repairs are covered, and peace of mind for anyone taking a chance on buying it.
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

If you have a student in the house i think it is closer to $120 the last time i looked at it.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
TGITC

TGITC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G

Its not the cost. Its only 20 pence (.33 cents) a day for the cover...
And I dont intend to sell it either... Or upgrade.

Infact, if it lasts me say 4 years, I have more than had my moneys worth out of it, and will happily just buy a new one when the time comes anyway...

I'm just seeing if its really worth it for that next 2 year window of time... In otherwords, I'll happily use the imac until it no longer works, then throw it away and buy new. But is that point likely to be within the next two years?

I may just get it anyway and be on the safeside, but I'm really just gathering some opinions first
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Yosemite, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

I have a macbook pro 2009 model. I bought the insurance for it. Being as expensive as it was, I figured whats another 349.00. I have yet to have a problem with it. But I still have another year and them some before it expires. It is nice to have the tech support though. Which I have used several times. It gives me peace of mind.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

In general my answer on extended warranties is, "no, not worth it".

Having said that, I make an exception for AppleCare. My experience dealing with Apple service in general, and under AppleCare in particular, is that the prompt, curteous, and hassle-free service makes it worth having. I do buy my AppleCare through Amazon though, as I can usually get a decent discount.
If you decide to buy it and choose to do it online, do a thread search here at the Forums first as this issue has been discussed many times.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

It is the catch 22. If you don't buy it you will need it. if you do buy it you won't.

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramimac1 View Post
It is the catch 22. If you don't buy it you will need it. if you do buy it you won't.
How true!

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I really should put this in my signature: LA Computer Company I have friends who have purchased Apple Care from them, as they offer really good discounts. I think they also offer theft insurance as well as accident coverage. Those are different plans though.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'm one of those that almost never buys a warranty and only extremely rarely do I ever recommend them to others.

At the $110 price of the link Doug provided - basically for the cost of a new hard drive - on an iMac - think I'd have to break down and purchase that for a 2 yr extension myself.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Wow I am with you on that one

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
At the $110 price of the link Doug provided - basically for the cost of a new hard drive - on an iMac - think I'd have to break down and purchase that for a 2 yr extension myself.
I agree. That's one heck of a deal for Apple Care. Thanks for the URL Doug.
QUOTE Thanks
Spiderpig

Spiderpig is on a distinguished road

I look at it as insurance. You most likely will not need it but what will the cost be if you don't have it vs the cost of having it. Like a car you don't need a full warranty but you may wish you had paid for that when you have to shell out for a repair.
QUOTE Thanks
frazzm737

frazzm737 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac--OSX 10.6.7

I always buy Apple Care! Last year my 1 1/2 yr. old iMac suffered three failures within 5 days. The hard drive went first, followed by the heat sensors and finally the super drive. I have no idea why this happened, but I had run up over $500 in repairs. Thanks to Apple Care, I paid nothing and after the 3rd failure, I was given a brand new machine. The new machine came with higher specs and has been running beautifully. Apple even gave me a refund on the unused portion of the policy. The very first thing I bought for my new machine was Apple Care!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with removal of random file on desktop!!?? | Steam PC to App Store Mac games »