New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What type of blank DVDs to use

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

I want to burn some family movies, friends' kid's highlights that have gathered over the years. They are in .avi and .mp4 format ranging in size from 700mb to 1/1.5 gb.
I know what rw and dl mean but r and the +\- not so sure about those.

They will be watched in regular DVD players, blu-rays, and possibly portable DVD players.

I think the SuperDrive in my iMac can go up to 32x write speed. Should I buy discs that have that burn speed?
If I'm only going to burn on the DVD once am I ok to get the r-/r+?
If I burn a big file should I use DL DVDs?
Also. When I right click one of the files it says 'burn ...'- is that the ideal way to do burn DVDs?
What does compression mean? Is that done by my iMac on it's own?

Thanks in advance.
If this is in the wrOng forum sry, but I felt that these are noob questions.

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
Spiderpig

Spiderpig is on a distinguished road

If I recall correctly the difference is in how they can be formatted. If you plan on just burning a dvd once then go with the cheaper -R discs.

Compression will save you space but lowers audio and video quality. In the case of home movies this really isn't a big deal anyway as it is probably only 2 channel audio and you wont notice a difference at a lower bitrate. The same for video unless you are using an HD camera and want it to stay HD you can probably convert it to something more compressed and fit more onto the cheaper 4.7GB dvd. I buy stacks of them. If you shop around you can buy a 100 pack for like $25. At that price it is 25 cents a disc so who cares if they burn out and you need another.

Otherwise you can go DL if you really want it all on one disc for a higher cost.

EDIT: Also if you burn them as dvd video files they are going to take up alot of space. I forgot to mention that. If those dvd players support playback of data files then I would just compress them and fit them onto a couple discs. Otherwise it will take up more space burned in the dvd file format.
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

I thnk some of the vids are done on 720p camera, the more recent ones at least.

If that's the case, I only need to buy DVDs related to the max size right?
The 4.7 you said above- that an industry standard on max DVD size? Or just a random number?

Not trying to be redundant. But is the best way to burn-- control click and choose burn 'this file'? Or do I need to delve into iMovie??

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
Spiderpig

Spiderpig is on a distinguished road

4.7GB is the standard for single sided single layer dvd-R. Then you have 8.5GB single sided double layer. You can get 9.4GB dual sided single layer as well. There are lots of combos of discs for every purpose. There are some up to 17.1GB but you are honestly wasting money at that point.

Your best bet will be determined buy what is cost effective for you. A stack of 100 4.7GB discs will run you between 20 - 25 dollars if you shop around. A stack of 25 DL disc which fit twice as much cost about the same as that stack of 100 cheapies. So if you are insistent about true HD then they are your best bet. In all honesty you aren't going to fit many 720P videos onto the cheaper disc. I am guessing at 1.5Gb you probably have some longer than the average clips.

Now the question is are you trying to burn it as a data file or convert the files to dvd. If you want maximum compatibility with others in your family who will not be playing them on a computer I would use Imovie and burn them as a DVD.

Play with the audio bitrate and video quality/size settings until you can fit what you want on that 4.7GB dvd. If you are looking at 1.5GB files then chances are they will not fit on that disc in DVD format unless you scale it down. Play with it a little until you are happy with a good combo of audio and video.

If price is not a factor look into the DL discs.

Keep in mind that just like hard drives, a 4.7GB formated will be less due to the true size of a gigabyte being 1024 megabytes and not 1000. so that is roughly 4.37 on a 4.7GB standard DVD-R.

DVD-HQ : Bitrate & GOP calculator is a decent calc to play with.

As an example I set the audio to 128kbps, video to NTSC, and made it so I could have 1 hour on the DVD. That will limit you to 18FPS in order to fit on the disc in dvd format. 128 isn't bad for home video. 18FPS isn't entirely horrible unless you are looking at fast moving things then you may get some blurring. Also another thing to keep in mind is that the video quality you see on a mainstream DVD video will not fit onto one of those cheapies either. They are way more than 4.7. Often double. Again it all comes down to how picky do you want to be about your video quality.

Sorry if I hopped around a little. I am tired while typic this. Just got off of work.

All this sounds more complicated than it really is. In the end it comes down to which is more important to you? A slight increase in audio and video quality or cheaper cost of making.

EDIT: Again because I am not thinking clearly...

Imovie is probably another good choice if you haven't trimmed them. IMHO I hate home movies that are lots and lots of random stuff with mixed in with the good memories. You could probably trim a good chunk out of your overall size if you haven't already. You know what I mean . Like when someone gets bored and films that tennis ball not doing anything. Not that anyone in my family has ever done that, 'cough'.
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Haha I do know what you mean. Thanks, this did help. Get some rest now.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro with wireless external NTFS HDD | My nasty experience with a broken HDD. »