New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Keep Multiple Windows Open

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kenscottii

kenscottii is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know how to keep multiple windows open on an iMac?

I'm going from two monitors on a Mac Pro to an iMac. I want to keep multiple windows open on the desktop at the same time since I have the 27" monitor.

Thanks for help in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Am I missing something here? Why not try just not closing them???

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

I'm with Sawday here, I don't know if I understand what you are asking. Could you try to elaborate and clarify what you mean?

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Yeah, multiple windows of what? The same application, or several. Actually, I'm trying hard to think of things that will not allow multiple windows. All I'm coming up with: Calculator, iCal, Dictionary...
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

I think the OP is asking for multiple viewable, active windows on screen at the same time. May be similar to Top Sites of Safari. The only thing I can think of currently is Expose. Maybe when Lion comes out we will see more.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

But even on two monitors, you have to shift the focus to the window you want to use, so having multiple windows open on the single screen works exactly the same way. Like the others, I'm asking the OP to provide a more clear explanation of what is wanted. Right now I can open two windows on the desktop and either have them stacked but mostly visible, or sitting side-by-side. I don't understand the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by quin View Post
I think the OP is asking for multiple viewable, active windows on screen at the same time.
That doesn't even make sense to me. You can't do two things at once (using keyboard or mouse) so why would you even want two windows to be "active" at the same time?
QUOTE Thanks
quin

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
That doesn't even make sense to me. You can't do two things at once (using keyboard or mouse) so why would you even want two windows to be "active" at the same time?
It makes sense to me. He has two monitors. Wants to keep open all the windows he has open and viewable. So if he keeps each monitor as individual Space or one continuous Space (I've done this with an external monitor and my MBP), he can click Expose button to see all his open windows. Also, 2 windows side by side for drag and drop. Or have several different videos running at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quin View Post
It makes sense to me. He has two monitors. Wants to keep open all the windows he has open and viewable. So if he keeps each monitor as individual Space or one continuous Space (I've done this with an external monitor and my MBP), he can click Expose button to see all his open windows. Also, 2 windows side by side for drag and drop. Or have several different videos running at the same time.
Only ONE window is actually active, no matter how many are viewable. How else could you control mouse or cursor???

QUOTE Thanks
quin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
Only ONE window is actually active, no matter how many are viewable. How else could you control mouse or cursor???
Ok, in that sense only one window can be active, but if you're running different videos for each window and you have several windows, wouldn't those window be 'active'. Or when you are downloading and installing several different files, each with it's own window, those windows are 'active'. You can view their progression under Expose.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Maybe we should wait until Ken clarifies what exactly he means. Till then, everyone is just speculating.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
I think there's an echo in this thread.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
I think there's an echo in this thread.
Sorry - brain not in gear!!

QUOTE Thanks
lekhraaj

lekhraaj is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1

it look likes ken figured out on his own.....requesting mods to close the thread....as not reaching anywhere witout a q's

bhaag bhaag DK BOSE
QUOTE Thanks
kevkoptel

kevkoptel is on a distinguished road

Hi, I wanted to bring back up this thread.

I'm actually looking for the same thing, but this time for a good reason.

I wan't to trigger 2 applications with the same keyboard shortcut at the same time, however this is not possible unless switching between applications. So if there would exist some kind of hack or terminal change to make this possible somehow it would help me out enormously!

Thanks for the suggestions yet to come...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems connecting to Wireless | x bench help »