New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New to Apple. Looking for a calendar program

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

J-Rod

I recieved my 14" iBook on Monday and have been tinkering around in OSX for a few hrs a day. It's a fairly simple software to pick up. Most of the stuff I've wanted to do I've been able to figure out just using common sense.

I have a kickin little calendar program on my XP machine called Rainlendar. The only thing I use it for is to remind me when bills are due, or when b'days are coming up etc. Unfortunatly, they don't support OSX so I'm forced to find something similiar for my iBook.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a calendar program with a ToDo list that I can slap on my desktop to remind me of upcoming events? I screwed around with iCal, but I'm not thrilled with the look or function of it. That Rainlendar program looks like something a Mac program would have, which is why I was in love with it when I use my PC.
QUOTE Thanks
TonyJ

I did a quick check on versiontracker.com and found this:

http://www.chronosnet.com/Products/po_product.html

There really wasn't much listed there.

Another alternative is Entourage, the included PIM in Office for Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Yeah, I like iCal. It has Pop-Up reminders and stuff. Entourage is probably your best way to go if you're not too fond of iCal.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Assuming you are running Tiger (10.4.x) there are tons of Dashboard widgets that will do this very thing. You can set them to stay on top so you will always see what is on your daily agenda. Some of them even work with and add onto iCal, making it much more expandable. Take a look at the Dashboard page on Apple's site and do a search for some.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I personally recommend Entourage, it'll do mail, calendars, to do's, etc.. a very sweet program.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I think entourage is too bloated for what he's looking to do.
I'd also recommend checking out all the reminder widgets that are on Apple's page...
QUOTE Thanks
J-Rod

Thanks for the recommendations thus far. Aptmunich is correct, I'm not looking for a bloated program. I honestly only need it to give me a monthly reminder that I have a bill due or something like that. The Rainlendar program was a tiny program that you couldn't even tell was running.

I'll check around on apples site. I did a quick search, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some underground program that everyone was in love with.
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
I personally recommend Entourage, it'll do mail, calendars, to do's, etc.. a very sweet program.
Ditto here. Entourage, imo, is better than Outlook and I use the calendar functions all the time, even to pay bills. You can set up a bill-pay calendar in no time at all. Entourage is part of Microsoft Office, by the way.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« View on Top | Put LCD screen to sleep HELP!!! »