New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help Pls! New Mac user switched from a pc laptop to a Macbook pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

peesa

peesa is on a distinguished road

Hi All

Ok so I have done the switch after already having a iphone and ipod

As above I have left my compaq presario in favour of a macbook pro 13" first thing I noticed is the price tag lol its about 3 x more than the pc eqv but I can already see the benefits!

However I am stuck on a few things so experts pls advise

1. My iphone was used on my pc lappy and now only transfers the photos and vid I need to transfer all my internet favs, old music etc etc How do I do this?
2. I have saved pretty much all my data on a ext hardrive is there a easier way to replicate all my pc data straight onto my Mac?
3. How do I sync my iphone calendar and contacts to my mac?

I think thats it but no doubt will have more soon

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peesa View Post
1. My iphone was used on my pc lappy and now only transfers the photos and vid I need to transfer all my internet favs, old music etc etc How do I do this?
It would have been a good idea to move the iTunes folder on the PC to the Mac ahead of this but now I'm not too sure (I'm not sure what you mean by "internet favs" maybe bookmarks?).

I'd suggest using a program that can reverse the normal sync direction if all that info you mention is still on the iPhone. I like Pod To Mac for this ($20), since it copies playlists, ratings, music and so forth -- basically everything -- back from the iPhone to the target computer. Once that is done and you're satisfied that it's all residing on the Mac, erase the iPhone and reset it to use the Mac as home base, and restore.

Quote:
2. I have saved pretty much all my data on a ext hardrive is there a easier way to replicate all my pc data straight onto my Mac?
There's no reason why your external disc shouldn't be read on the Mac, then you can just copy over what you want. Have you tried that?

Quote:
3. How do I sync my iphone calendar and contacts to my mac?
See above.
QUOTE Thanks
peesa

peesa is on a distinguished road

Thanks yep I mean internet bookmarks

Will that software copy phone contacts, calendar and the bookmarks?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

iTunes itself will sync the contacts and calendars (it will pop up a "warning" that a large percentage of items in these categories will be moved).

Bookmarks I'm not sure -- I'm a MobileMe member so I've never had to think about this, they've just always been synced. You might sign up for the free trial, this might very well make your life easier as it has mine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just wanted everyone to know... | Help!! Which Mac to buy?! »