Specs:
    Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
    Strange message appearing on screen.
    Hi Guys and Guyesses,
    I don't know if this is the correct board to place this question so I'll apologise up front if I got it wrong.
    I am using a Mac Mini Aluminium connected to a Plasma TV.
    I don't leave CDs or DVDs in the drive after I finish using them but I sometimes leave an SD card or Memory Stick in a USB card reader fixed into the USB ports at the rear of the Mac.
    Now, when my Mac/TV combo are untouched for 5 minutes, the Mac goes into a sort of Sleep mode and the TV screen goes blank. This is fine and how I want it to be. All I need to do to make it all come to life again is touch a key on the wireless keyboard or click on the Magic mouse.
    The only concern is that when I do that, a message appears on screen to warn me that I have done a bad thing.
    It is the same warning, in a bright red mini window, that you would get if you were working on your Mac and just pulled out the USB card reader while the memory card in it was being used.
    Part of the warning is that damage can be caused by this action and that's the bit that has me worried.
    The thing is, I am NOT actually removing the Memory card reader but the Mac thinks that I am. Is it still possible to cause any damage to the memory card or the Mac?

Cheers,
    Steve
    The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    It could be CEC or PBC in most HDMI connections on new equipment these control other
    gear thats attached, see if the problem goes away if you disable these features.

Specs:
    Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
    Hi there osxx,
    I have absolutely no idea what that means or how to disable it but thanks for trying.
    The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    I think (This is a guess) that when the Mini is sleeping, it's taking it that the memory card was pulled and giving you that message. Just a guess.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    And yes, this could damage the memory card. You should probably adjust the settings so that the computer's DISPLAY sleeps, but not the actual computer unless you manually sleep it.

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Quote Originally Posted by 5tevie View Post
    Hi there osxx,
    I have absolutely no idea what that means or how to disable it but thanks for trying.
    It may have no issue with the mini but that would be in the set up menu on your TV if it does not have it disregard. It has had issues with other gear in the past and I am just taking a stab here HDMI can be as hateful as wonderful.

Specs:
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    No - it isn't hdmi - I have the same issue happen with a ssd card in my pci-express slot - when I close/sleep the MBP - and wake it back up I get the same warning. It seems to do with USB/Express flash type drives. I don't seem to have the problems with USB hard drives, and it isn't all USB flash drives either.

Try this
    Automatically eject/mount disks on sleep/wake - Mac OS X Hints

Thread Information