New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OS X Snow Leopard question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rude_rudeboy

rude_rudeboy is on a distinguished road

Hi!

I am new to these forums and have a question regarding a "possible" update to my Mac, which is the 13" aluminum uni-body (the one that came out in 2008?) and am running 10.5 on it.

Some relatives of mine recently purchased the NEWER Macbooks, (the new plastic or whatever it is) and sadly it was completely totaled by water accident, rest its soul. They are now giving me their OS install disks to update my Macbook.

Now, my question is whether or not this is possible. I know it will go against the EULA, but they no longer use their Macbook. Are those install disks THAT MACHINE SPECIFIC, as in all the way down to model number? Or could I still use them since mine is a Macbook, but just of a different model?

Any feedback is appreciated! I just don't want to end up in trouble trying this beforehand!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by rude_rudeboy View Post
Hi!

I am new to these forums and have a question regarding a "possible" update to my Mac, which is the 13" aluminum uni-body (the one that came out in 2008?) and am running 10.5 on it.

Some relatives of mine recently purchased the NEWER Macbooks, (the new plastic or whatever it is) and sadly it was completely totaled by water accident, rest its soul. They are now giving me their OS install disks to update my Macbook.

Now, my question is whether or not this is possible. I know it will go against the EULA, but they no longer use their Macbook. Are those install disks THAT MACHINE SPECIFIC, as in all the way down to model number? Or could I still use them since mine is a Macbook, but just of a different model?

Any feedback is appreciated! I just don't want to end up in trouble trying this beforehand!
Snow Leopard costs $29 USD for the full OS which you would then have free and clear. Not sure about the EULA and defunct machines, typically the disks that ship with Macs are machine specific and you would not be able to use it.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

The install discs that come with a Mac are specific to that Mac. It wouldn't work even if you tried it.
$29 at the Apple Store will get you Snow Leopard.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
rude_rudeboy

rude_rudeboy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies!

I knew there was no escaping the $29, but oh well it's not a problem. I just had a spare hard drive laying around and thought "Why not see if it could work?", but once again thanks for your replies!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Well do not abandon the discs.

There is always a market for original system discs and you may well get more than the cost of the SL disc!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

How is there a market for original discs, if they are machine specific?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Someone who has the same machine may be looking for replacement disks. You see that all the time on eBay. We also have a sticky thread with the same info. Look up at the top of the BST forum.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

When you advertise them quote the machine details and the Apple part number.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to associate all avi to VLC | Fedex »