New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help Me Love My New Mac!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Clacksmac

Clacksmac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13" Core I5 320GB

I have just made the switch from PC to Mac with a nice new 15" Macbook pro! I cant help but feel like I am in Brazil speaking Russian. A beautifully crafted (£1500) piece of of kit that after 5 days I am getting no use out of and am still booting my XP laptop daily to function.!

My main obstacles i could do with some help are:

My 3 USB dongles installs but wont run the set up. It works fine on 2 XP laptops so I am sure the hardware is all ok. The fact I cant access the internet etc on the move is a major hindrance.

I also have lots of WMV files that the Mac refuses to open. A friend recommended 'Perian' which I downloaded but no amount of double clicking on the file will install it.

I have also downloaded various pieces of software I used on on PC (in mac format) but again no amounts of double clicking will get them to install.

I have an i-phone that is just brilliant and was hoping my switch to mac would be the same. Can anyone give advice on how to start my love affair with the Mac?

Thanks in advance.

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clacksmac View Post
My 3 USB dongles installs but wont run the set up.
Which dongles are these? Do you mean hubs, or are they specific to run specific software? Could you show us which they are? I've never had an issue with any type of USB hub, self powered or otherwise.

Quote:
I also have lots of WMV files that the Mac refuses to open. A friend recommended 'Perian' which I downloaded but no amount of double clicking on the file will install it.
Perian is fine, as it should enable you to play most any file via Quicktime. Make sure that you're trying to open the file with QT and not simply Perian. It's only a plugin. However, Most people I know, including myself, use VLC to play their media. It doesn't require Perian, and plays everything you throw at it. I recommend that route.

Quote:
I have also downloaded various pieces of software I used on on PC (in mac format) but again no amounts of double clicking will get them to install.
Can you please be specific about what software you're trying to run? Thanks.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Clacksmac

Thanks Doug!

The USB modem dongle is http://mymobile.three.co.uk:8080/mbb...F112/main.html

it installs the drivers will but will not let me complete set up as it says the device is not connected.

I have downloaded applications like: Perian, Firefox, Utorrent, VLc (since you mentioned it), but once I downloaded none of them install. I double click the file of folder and nothing happens of just a text box opens with nonsense in it.

Is there a special installer you need for Mac?

I have also corrupted the original i-tunes that was installed when I tried to move my library from the PC following a tutorial. I have worked out how to delete that i-tunes and have downloaded i-tunes again. However I have double clicked on this file and this will not install either.

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clacksmac View Post
Thanks Doug!

The USB modem dongle is http://mymobile.three.co.uk:8080/mbb...F112/main.html

it installs the drivers will but will not let me complete set up as it says the device is not connected.

I have downloaded applications like: Perian, Firefox, Utorrent, VLc (since you mentioned it), but once I downloaded none of them install. I double click the file of folder and nothing happens of just a text box opens with nonsense in it.

Is there a special installer you need for Mac?

I have also corrupted the original i-tunes that was installed when I tried to move my library from the PC following a tutorial. I have worked out how to delete that i-tunes and have downloaded i-tunes again. However I have double clicked on this file and this will not install either.

Sounds like you did something a bit wonky at some point. DMG files (these are basically the equivalent of .exe files) should be installed with OS X's system tool: "Disk Utility", and is usually opened in the background automatically. If this isn't happening, it may be that you accidentally set apps to open with text edit or something similar. I'm guessing that, at this point.

Do me a favor. Could you please post a screenshot of what you see when you double click on an .dmg file ? To capture a screen shot, just do Shift+Command(that's the apple key)+3 I won't assume you have a photo hosting site that you use, so I'll direct you to one that doesn't require you to sign up if you don't want to. (though signing up has its benefits, such as an batch uploader that works great)

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

So save the screenshot to your desktop, then go to imageshack. Click the upload button, make sure to choose "don't resize" since the file size will already be small. you'll then see a few links. Highlight the text in the "direct link" box, then copy it. Then when you post here, click the "insert image" icon and paste the code that you just copied and you should have an image as such:

Let me know if you have an issue with any of that.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Another option for playing WMV files is Microsoft's own Flip4Mac, which should play just about any relatively recent WMV file.

Windows Media player for Mac - Flip4Mac WMV Overview - Telestream

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
LowBoost

LowBoost is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB, SSD ⁞ iPad ⁞ iPhone4 ⁞ 5th Gen iPod

+1 for VLC player. May not have an attractive layout/skin, but it plays almost anything you throw at it!

Definitely DougB is dead on about what's going on with the OPs issue.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
Another option for playing WMV files
I think that that is the only option for playing WMV files.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBoost View Post
+1 for VLC player. May not have an attractive layout/skin, but it plays almost anything you throw at it!

Definitely DougB is dead on about what's going on with the OPs issue.
Thanks but I'm not quite as confident. That's why I'd like to see a screenshot.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
I think that that is the only option for playing WMV files.
¿hu? What is the benefit of flip for mac vs using an media player that tackles every codec under the sun? I have never understood the reasoning for this. Plus, isn't it shareware ?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

VLC, flip4mac and Perian all work for me and most users. My guess is that you are installing these things incorrectly. When you download an application (program) it comes in a .dmg file, which is similar to an .exe file in Windows. It's only a container that you use to install the application, it's not the actual application folder itself.

If you double click on a .dmg file, you should see some kind of directions for installing the application, either with an installer or by dragging the application icon out of the .dmg folder and into your application folder. After that, you eject the .dmg file by dragging it to the trash, which turns into an Eject button.

You do NOT open an application directly from the .dmg file itself and you don NOT keep the .dmg file after you've installed the application.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

As for how to start your Mac love affair, the best advice is to unlearn what you've learned, in the words of a certain small, green Jedi Master. OS X is a totally different operating system from Windows, so you have to learn to do things in slightly different ways. So get out of the Windows mindset and open your mind to a new way of doing things.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
¿hu? What is the benefit of flip for mac vs using an media player that tackles every codec under the sun?
1. Installing Flip4Mac Player means that WMV files JUST PLAY. In your browser, on QuickTime, just by double-clicking. They JUST WORK.

Of course one should have VLC or MPlayer or et al as well, but most users just want WMV files to open "in situ" wherever they find them (in Mail, on the web, on their machine). Flip4Mac Player (now more properly known as Windows Media Components for QuickTime) make that happen.

Quote:
Plus, isn't it shareware ?
2. No it's free. An *encoder* for *making* WMV files (though why in Bob's name anyone would ever want to do that is beyond me) costs money.
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

Sounds like he downloaded the windows versions of this software and not the mac versions
QUOTE Thanks
Clacksmac

Hi all,

Thanks for the help, all problems resolved.

I have downloaded VLC and my Mac Book now plays WMV files.

The 3 USB Modem dongle is not compatible with the new 64bit Macs even after firmware update. It only works with 32bit machines. I have downloaded a good little 3rd party dashboard called net2launch which enables you to use just the modem functionality.

Very embarrassed but I was trying to install applications wrong. I didnt realise you had to drag the application download into the Applications folder to install. I was just double clicking the various files. Duh!

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

@Clacksmac
I'm surprised no-one has pointed you here yet, and I strongly recommend it.

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Under the main video window you will find countless topics well worth going through.
They are set out really well, and have the feel of someone running through lessons with you in a user friendly pace in real time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help!! Which Mac to buy?! | Firefox 4 Fan Overheating Issue »